MR-97 mold release spray

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Maryar

MR-97 mold release spray

Post by Maryar »

With some other aerosol sprays (such as paint) you have to hold the can upside down and spray until only air comes out after you have used it.
Do you have to clear the tube after spraying MR-97?
Mary
JestersBaubles

Re: MR-97 mold release spray

Post by JestersBaubles »

I never have....

Just my 2 cents worth of experience.

Dana W.
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

No.....just shake it well!
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Is it true , once you use mr-97 you can never go back to kiln wash? Or is to the other way around? One you use kiln wash you can't use MR-97 .. I was airbrushing kiln was and was told I could never use mr 97.

Thank you
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Is it true , once you use mr-97 you can never go back to kiln wash? Or is to the other way around? One you use kiln wash you can't use MR-97 .. I was airbrushing kiln was and was told I could never use mr 97.

Thank you
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

mr97 seals the clay molds in a way that repels regular kiln wash. Since we are now a distributor of MR97 I have been doing further testing. I have found that a light sanding is all that is needed if you want to switch. That being said.....if you are using it on texture molds or casting molds you will not want to sand as you will lose some texture of course. After we had used primo primer for years on texture molds I have found that with Mr97 the glass leaves less needling and releases clean and perfect and you get more texture.......You do need to brush the mold with a stiff brush between firings and just give it a "wisp" of a spray for the next firing. Love this spray!
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com