Slumping- number of molds at once?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Amy Jakowski

Slumping- number of molds at once?

Post by Amy Jakowski »

Thank you all for your input on buying a kiln. Now one more question before I take the plunge. Can I slump more than one mold in a Skutt Clamshell (20" shelf) or Skutt 1014 (22" shelf)? Will have side elements blocked from one mold cause a significant problem? Will location in a element top only kiln also cause a problem for multiple molds? Should just get a bigger kiln?
Thank you.
charlie

Re: Slumping- number of molds at once?

Post by charlie »

the # of molds you can slump in one load depends upon the size of the molds (floor space) and heat schedules each mold needs. some molds need very little and some need a lot of heatwork. if you use both in the same load, will one be overfired and the other underfired?
Judd

Post by Judd »

I have always places as many molds in my kiln as possible. As long as you are an inch or so away from the walls/elements, you should be fine. If your molds are unusually thick or heavy, I would fire up slowly, like 150 degrees per hour.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I saw this photo the other day and made a note of it to remind me that I could slump student work this way. I believe this was taken from a Patty Gray class.
molds.jpg
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Valerie Adams wrote:I saw this photo the other day and made a note of it to remind me that I could slump student work this way. I believe this was taken from a Patty Gray class.
molds.jpg
Yep, that's a Patty Gray class :)

Dana W.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Valerie Adams wrote:I saw this photo the other day and made a note of it to remind me that I could slump student work this way.
The reason this works is that the molds are very gentle, with only a short drop. They're also molds that can stand being overfired or held at a long time at slumping temperature. And they're all the same mold.

If your molds are deeper or steeper, this kind of kiln loading will probably be problematical.
Alexis Dinno

Post by Alexis Dinno »

In my experience low temperature slumps (~605º C) are problematic when 'shading' lower pieces from the top elements (when only top elements are on). Same goes for placing slumping molds on stacks of shelves.