Pattern Bar Piece help plz

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lorelei

Pattern Bar Piece help plz

Post by Lorelei »

question- when one uses a saw on a pattern bar, the surface is left milky from the saw. I have a lot of clear in this particular pattern bar and I did a fuse the other day which failed for another reason. (volume control) What I didn't count on was the clear areas still retain some of that milky look instead of being crystal clear. Should I sandblast the pieces before including them in work? Should I firepolish before?
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it."

-- Clarence Seward Darrow (1857-1938)
Richard Blummer

Re: Pattern Bar Piece help plz

Post by Richard Blummer »

It may be that your slices were not clean enough. When I'm slicing up pattern bars, I drop the slices into a bucket of water as I go along, so that the swarf from the slicing does not have a chance to dry on the pieces, and still I scrub them thoroughly when setting them up for fusing.
אָשֵׁר חַיִּים
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

thank you
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it."

-- Clarence Seward Darrow (1857-1938)
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

I find that it is always a good idea to sandblast any pieces I have taken a saw to
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

Hi!!! I do alot of work with pattern bars and do not have a sand blaster and the way I have found good success is to clean every single piece with just water and a green scrubby to get all the sawed water off and then I dry on clean paper towels and keep covered after each is totally dry. I have never had any scum on my pieces , so clean is good.
Leslie
Give out Free Hugs!