Jen-Ken Kilns

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Amy Jakowski

Jen-Ken Kilns

Post by Amy Jakowski »

The Jen-Ken AFG JK Squared (27 x 27 x 15 deep) http://jenkenkilns.com/afgoval9-1-2-1.aspx has a lot of appeal for our studio because we are primarily a pottery. Has anyone had experience with this brand of kiln?
Thank you.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Jen-Ken Kilns

Post by Brad Walker »

I haven't used that particular kiln, but have used Jen-Ken kilns before. They make good kilns and have good service.
krccpht

Post by krccpht »

I have their AF3P fusebox and have been happy with it, although it is my first kiln (other than the fuseworks microwave one!). We ordered through kiln frog though, but when our kiln arrived without the kiln shelf, I had to deal straight with jen-ken. At first the man I talked to made me feel like I was lying about not receiving the shelf but sent it anyway along with an extra type of shelf, I think it was some kind of fiber shelf. He really was helpful and walked me through setting up my kiln for the first use over the phone.
chrisk

Post by chrisk »

I just (a few days ago) got my 5th Jen Ken. I have 2 brick(AF3p, one with bead door) and 2 fiber (Bonnie Glo) and now the Oval 13.

JenKen is a great company - the support is terrific and the kiln quality is excellent.

Chris
Havi

Post by Havi »

I heartily agree with the above,

I bought a Jen Ken 24 by 24, 15" deep few years ago. [7 or so]

I live in Israel and the electricity here is different than the American, they made a special kiln for my specifications - after inquiring the details.
Things did not work well - they changed EVERYTHING that went wrong.\

Yes, the distance was no problem, and I am really happy with the kiln AND with the service.

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Brock

Post by Brock »

Comparing kilns is like comparing toasters . . . they ALL work just fine.
dee

Post by dee »

My Jen-Ken mama kiln is the oldest in my studio, other than having to replace relays periodically, it is a work horse. after 11 yrs just starting to see some sagging of the elements a bit here and there, nothing major. bought an olympic square kiln a few years ago, seeing element issues - sagging out of channels already - but otherwise fine. that one has a mercury relay so haven't had to change out the relay yet. baby kiln is a paragon, no issues there, it's older than the olympic and younger than the jen ken. all 3 work fine. i do prefer the 12 key controllers for ease of programming. i can attest to the customer service at jen ken!
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com