Help with design and building a new shop

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mark Hall

Re: Help with design and building a new shop

Post by Mark Hall »

I think a whole house fan installed in a window at the end of your bench is important. Especially if you're working a lot with frit, you should create cross-ventilation with air exhausting and blowing across your work area. This is really important to keep your health!
Last edited by Mark Hall on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty

Post by Marty »

The idea is good but that fan is overkill. What if you start working with powders? Or get into drug deals? You'd lose the entire stash in no time. You do want to think about ventilation- I've got an exhaust fan in the kiln room that draws from the entire shop. I used to check the flow with tobacco smoke but those days are over.

(I loved that Woody Allen scene where he sneezes and sends coke all over the place.)
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Haydo wrote:Don't know whether you got to suffer those boxy shower cubicles with the enameled trays. I got one from a metal scrap dealer years ago and would love to get a second one later. Have it plumbed to drain into the wild garden as it's outdoors under the carport roof which is a luxury that I appreciate. peace, haydo
Just a thought, if you have the option to get a fibreglas shower base it's kinder to the glass than metal. I got one, new, still in the box, on eBay for .99, yep, that's ninety-nine cents, complete with accessories. It's still in the box waiting for the wet area to be built. The current wet areas are a sink to get water and if it can't safely go down the drain, outside under a tap. Look forward to the installation of the shower base as a large, soft wash trough. It too, will drain into a garden.Jen
Sue Hunchuk

Post by Sue Hunchuk »

Lots of electrical outlets, placed higher up on your wall for easy access.
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

I've found a few scattered 50 amp. 220 volt outlets really come in handy to provide choices for growing (having two kilns on at the same time), multitasking (using the welder while fusing), or remodeling later on.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Solar or wind turbine power source for all those electrical devices. We put in a 4.5kW solar system, the maximum allowable size here for a grid-integrated system....Jen