Page 1 of 1

Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:56 pm
by S.TImmerman
Have you all heard of the wax vac? It's a little vacuum that you can suck up small amounts of powder and then retrieve it. This art is by the talented artist Linda Humphrey. You can get these for under 10.00.


1655318_424022251062458_1123895454_n.jpg



https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lindas-F ... 8056892164

Re: Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:02 pm
by Morganica

Re: Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:10 am
by S.TImmerman
I didn't see that you posted that. I was ONLY trying to help other artists

Re: Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:57 am
by Morganica
S.TImmerman wrote:I didn't see that you posted that. I was ONLY trying to help other artists

Oh, I know...the new blog is actually not live yet, so you couldn't possibly have seen it. I saw your post right after I'd test-published that review to see if things were working. Got a kick out of the coincidence, too much not to share. Great minds think alike, I guess... ;-)

Re: Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:09 pm
by Laurie Schock
Is that the goofy ear wax thing???

Re: Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:42 pm
by Morganica
Yup. It's a bit of a pain to clean, but actually works pretty well. I think if I were going to become a power fritsucker I'd rig something more like a set of pastry bag tips on a real vacuum cleaner, but this is inexpensive and fast for the occasional use. An amazing frit painter, Linda Humphrey, recommended it, and Shereen kindly shared.

Re: Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:57 pm
by JestersBaubles
Morganica wrote:Yup. It's a bit of a pain to clean, but actually works pretty well. I think if I were going to become a power fritsucker


:mrgreen: That sounds like some undesirable member of society! :mrgreen:

Dana W.

Re: Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:10 pm
by MarkNotMarc
Morganica wrote:Oh, I know...the new blog is actually not live yet, so you couldn't possibly have seen it. I saw your post right after I'd test-published that review to see if things were working. Got a kick out of the coincidence, too much not to share. Great minds think alike, I guess... ;-)



What, what, what!!!

Your new blog is going live when? The long wait is over??

Thank you, thank you!

Re: Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:03 am
by Ralph
I'm with CM on this. A regular vacuum cleaner sucking through various "pen" tips works well. With very fine tips you can be amazingly precise - even removing individual grains of powder. Sucking from the side often works better than from above.

I've used reducing sections of vinyl tubing and ballpoint pen parts for a very lightweight fritsucker - as easy to handle as a real pen. Because I don't remove much volume there's been no need to reclaim frit. But it wouldn't be hard to rig a small recovery jar part way along the sucker tube.

Allow some bypass air through the cleaner to cool the motor. For frequent use keep the noise away from your work area.

I've found sucking frit more precise than dispensing frit through a hand-held vibratory nozzle device.

Re: Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:09 pm
by Morganica
MarkNotMarc wrote:
Morganica wrote:Oh, I know...the new blog is actually not live yet, so you couldn't possibly have seen it. I saw your post right after I'd test-published that review to see if things were working. Got a kick out of the coincidence, too much not to share. Great minds think alike, I guess... ;-)



What, what, what!!!

Your new blog is going live when? The long wait is over??

Thank you, thank you!

Well...it's, er, um...a work in progress. I'm leaving the old blog where it is, and will gradually port about 1,000 of the 7,000 or so posts onto the new site. I've got a few posts on it already, but I'm still ditzing with the style/features, etc. Right now I'm having some fits trying to get the resource directories to work, so heaven knows when I'll consider it done and actually open it up. It's morganica.com, the old one is morganica.com/bloggery.

(and thank you)

Re: Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:57 pm
by Valerie Adams
I was in the drug store the other day and saw the tool, after seeing this post. I purchased it, trying to pretend I wasn't embarrassed.

It was even worse when I returned it, telling the clerk that the little fan didn't spin. "Didn't remove your ear wax?" she asked. OMG.

I'll have to go to another store if I want to try again. :oops:

Re: Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:36 pm
by Morganica
Val, get one on Amazon...the delivery guy will never know...

Re: Wax Vac, no its not what you think!

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:14 pm
by Jeanne
@ Valerie - Wear a wig and sunglasses.....