Adhesive for Wood/Glass Sculpture

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

sheila

Adhesive for Wood/Glass Sculpture

Post by sheila »

Looking for some expert advice…
I'm commissioned to create a yellow cedar (an oily wood) and glass sculpture to be placed outside in Alaska - temp range 0-80F, windy and very wet coastal environment. Wood will have various sized windows into which fused glass will be placed. I need some kind of adhesive/sealant, caulking, glazing ??? with which to secure the glass indefinitely. If clear, it can't yellow, or if glazing, it needs to match the wood in color.
Anyone have any experience with this kind of problem? I've tried various locktite silicones, etc., but unsure of the best product or approach.
Thanks!
JestersBaubles

Re: Adhesive for Wood/Glass Sculpture

Post by JestersBaubles »

Where the wood is likely to buckled/change shape, I would worry about relying solely on an adhesive.

I think I would seal with silicone around the edges, and then mechanically secure the "panes" in place using wooden strips, nailed to the back. I use wooden strips to secure flat panels into store-bought frames. (for instance, on the attachment). You didn't mention if they need to be viewable from the back... you could still use this method, just making sure you use nice strips with mitered edges to secure.
poppies.jpg
Dana W.