It was interesting, the thermal shock thing!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Haydo

It was interesting, the thermal shock thing!

Post by Haydo »

Thought I would share this to add to the already known fact that thermal shock will occur when there is a difference in temp of 70 deg F within a piece. It's so true, was blasting a surface with compressed air to stiffen a section of glass at 1600 deg F when all of a sudden I saw two stress fractures appear. My thinking was if the surface being cooled was still close to fusing temp and the core was fairly hot there would be enough plasticity, WOW it was awesome to actually see this time destroying affect.
Still had time to continue with the hold in the hope that fractures would heal. Didn't look good the last twenty times I checked. I blame the colour orange, orange tells me to be confident. A friend who had orange lingerie told me this years ago, but I never got her to show how confident.
It will be like cooking a baby now, another thirty plus hours before I can check.

peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Morganica

Re: It was interesting, the thermal shock thing!

Post by Morganica »

LOL
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Michele gh

Post by Michele gh »

I do love your posts. How did it turn out?
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Not sure yet Michele, have removed it from mould box and wrapped it in lava cloth. From what I can see through the sides will make me very happy if it can be salvaged. It was only a couple of hours after mishap that I kicked myself, on another occasion I had to heat the top of work with a torch to encourage movement in that section, WHY? didn't I just add heat from a torch to fractures. Will post image later.
Glad you like my posts, I don't intentionally try and irritate. Guess it's how I build walls as my wife would say and she also says, you didn't send that did you.
peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

002.JPG
Happy to say that I'm over the moon about this one coming out in one piece. Some of the variation in colour comes from the light through one of the facets. Get to put one more in tonight to add one more for the group before heading back to Nauru next week. Thinking as I type that maybe I could get a second one in and out before I leave. Can just hear it now, "Please Mr. Hayden contact crew at gate 4, your plane is about to leave!"
What I like about these is that they are a one fire project that is pushing me to really understand what the hell is going on. peace, haydo
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Really looking forward to more photos showing different angles. Congratulations!
Michele gh

Post by Michele gh »

NauruHome.jpg
"...heading back to Nauru..."
Nauru Island is a place I dream of visiting.

Yes, do post photographs of the finished piece, and of the island too.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Don't worry, I can hardly wait to show more images of what I'm trying to achieve. Hopefully geek son can get a blog linked to my website while I'm away because I feel so connected to this work that I feel the need to rant about my thoughts about each element.
Michele, Nauru is somewhere where you become so lost. The only place that gives me peace is in the water at the end of a hot day. Unlike PNG where I felt such a strong vibe that is uplifting,this place is a challenge to me. But hey!!, I love a challenge.......don't I? peace, haydo
Barb R

Post by Barb R »

I'm fascinated! I can't wait to see more...

Barb
Tammy Macdonald

Post by Tammy Macdonald »

Barb R wrote:I'm fascinated! I can't wait to see more...

Barb
Ditto!

Please post more