Kickstarter molds

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

JestersBaubles

Kickstarter molds

Post by JestersBaubles »

My new molds came yesterday, can't wait to start using them!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... tom-shapes

:mrgreen:
JestersBaubles

Re: Kickstarter molds

Post by JestersBaubles »

The molds... (one vermiculite and one ceramaguard)
Attachments
molds.jpg
Susanbuckler

Post by Susanbuckler »

My molds came too
Thanks, Brad
Excited to try them out
Where on your site are the directions?
Susan Buckler
Woodstock, NY
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

I'm still waiting for mine, but excited at the possibility that it will be here soon, since you two have yours. A nice gift for spring.

KaCe
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Yes, we've begun sending out molds, starting with the smaller ones, which I should finish up this week. Then we'll move on to the larger ones and the custom ones.

In many cases, we're sending folks two molds, so they can try out two different materials: Ceramaguard and vermiculite board. We do have a third material I think I will like better, but the supplier won't have any available for another month or two and I didn't want to wait until then to get started.

I'll be sending out another update to Kickstarter supporters later today. This will have links to more information about using the molds and for designing custom molds -- for right now, I'd like that information to be available just for Kickstarter supporters, so I don't want to publish the links here. But as soon as we've given all the Kickstarter supporters their chance to get molds, we'll open the process up to others. I think it's only fair to give people who helped me purchase the equipment the first chance to use the molds.

For anyone who doesn't know what this is about, check this page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... tom-shapes
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

Woohoo! Excited for our 'little' to arrive and looking forward to the custom mold! So glad this was a successful venture for you, Brad!
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

My paw print molds came this week. In two different mold mediums. I'm excited to try them but I'm knee deep in getting my magless done for the exchange, so the molds will have to wait just a bit longer. Go Dawgs! (I got them to make coaster and items for the UW Huskies.

KaCe
Dianne Van de Carr

Post by Dianne Van de Carr »

The mold arrived and I cannot wait to use it! I really enjoyed your instructions. They are well thought out and thorough. One question, Brad. If I were to make clay molds of this mold should it be fired first? When will you be ready to make custom molds. I have ideas..
Dianne
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Dianne Van de Carr wrote:One question, Brad. If I were to make clay molds of this mold should it be fired first? When will you be ready to make custom molds. I have ideas..
Dianne
The mold has been pre-fired, so you can use it as is.

I'm actually making some molds that people are using to make clay molds. These are made of plaster, which I can also cut on the CNC machine. As you probably know, plaster is probably the best material to use to create clay molds But you can still use the vermiculite mold you have to create a clay mold if you want. If you only wanted to use it for clay, and never for glass, it would probably work better if it were sealed first.

Right now I'm working on custom molds for the Kickstarter supporters. Once the bulk of the custom people have had their chance, I'll open the molds up to folks who weren't on Kickstarter.

If you want, you can send me an email with any idea and I can let you know how well I think it would work.

There are a tremendous number of possibilities with this process.