Gloves for Cyclone 3824

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kitty

Gloves for Cyclone 3824

Post by Kitty »

Hi all, my Cyclone came with gloves about the right size for The Hulk. I've been muddling along with them for much too long, and have had no luck finding a substitute online. Have checked personally in Lowe's and Home Depot, and online randomly, and specifically at Harbor Freight. No luck. I don't have to get ones that exactly are the size/length to fit onto the arm holes of the blaster, my plan is to sew on better fitting hands to the arm sections of the gloves that came with the unit. A friend did that quite successfully, that's where I got the idea. I talked to Cyclone, they do sell a size smaller, but admitted that it is only a little bit smaller. The original gloves are to gloves what clown shoes are to shoes ... the fingers and thumb are way too long, I can't imagine who fits this size. I envision some long-arm rubber gloves like might be used in a photo lab, but have failed to find anything suitable. If anyone has info on where to buy industrial gloves, I'd like to hear about it. I've finally maxed out on the inconvenience. Thanks for any tips, Kitty.
Rick Wilton

Re: Gloves for Cyclone 3824

Post by Rick Wilton »

I cut the hands off of all the sandblasters I've ever used. All I wear are latex, nitrile or dish gloves. Much better feel for what you are trying to do.

This works great with my set-up as my dust collector doesn't let anything escape through the arm holes. You set-up may differ,
Rick Wilton
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Hi Rick, I should have said that I believe the suction feature of this style of unit needs the gloves to be more air tight. Before i cut off hands, when you turned the blaster on, the gloves came to life and shot out stiffly, so a little vacuum created in cabinet? After I cut the hands off, I did run it as you do, stuck my arms thru the remaining rubber arms of the original gloves, wearing new gloves at the same time, but i think the way the unit is siphoning the grit from the hopper isn't as efficient. If you think i'm incorrect about that, please say so, but it seems like i spend an awful lot of time jostling the hose to keep the grit feed working smoothly. I don't think the line is clogged. If I could get some industrial gloves to fit an average kind of hand, not at all small, life would be beautiful.
charlie

Post by charlie »

http://www.harborfreight.com/oil-resist ... 99677.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/rubber-bla ... -4468.html
http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Gloves-San ... B004UC6O22

there's lots of replacement gloves. when i built my cabinet, i just got a pair of replacement gloves, cut a couple holes in the front of the box, made a gasket out of a ring of wood, and just screwed the gasket to the front of the box.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Charlie, Usually I'm pretty good at finding items online, but not the gloves for some reason. THANK YOU for the links, very useful info! As Rick pointed out, the thinner material really helps feel the project, and handle it more carefully. One of the pairs you linked to looks very promising.
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

Why not cut the too large gloves off leaving a bit at the wrist, then get a good pair of gloves that fit and using a good adhesive glue them to the remnants of the original gloves?

I made my reclaiming box 40 years ago out of left over plywood. It has given me good service. I'd do it differently now, but that was before the internet and I just did it by guess and by gosh. I used an army fatigue shirt sewn gloves on the ends of the cuffs, put a gasket around the whole thing and slip my arms into the shirt (sorta backwards, if you will.) Now a days I don't bother sewing gloves on. I often don't even use them. But if I have a long job or course grit I use regular dishwashing gloves that fit nicely.

Good luck. From what I've read many find what works for them… I'm sure you will also.
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

I haven't been able to find the ones that type I like either. Most are too thick and bulky, but I think I am going to try this place...

http://jenessco.com/index3368.html?cPath=28_33

I am going to order the 3rd style from the top.

Just FYI.

Guy
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

A friend showed me her style, and talked to me about the fit, which will be much better in the hand. I'm just checking on the diameter of the part that fits onto the hole in the blast cabinet.
http://www.kmstools.com/mod-u-blast-san ... loves-3618
Mod-U-Blast is a Canadian company, but I have ways of getting the gloves.
Also, the blue gloves shown in one of the 3 links Charlie provided look promising, but my cabinet requires pretty air-tight fit of the glove materials or media is not contained and the dust collector won't do its job as well.
Thanks everybody, I think I've got some good info now.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

This topic was discussed a couple of weeks ago, too.:

http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 20&t=41202

Seems as though you have it sorted, now. Jen