cutting thick stuff

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marty

cutting thick stuff

Post by Marty »

I don't remember if this was ever posted here but the re-post can't hurt. Very expensive equipment but some interesting techniques. I wouldn't try it with fused stuff though.
http://www.dump.com/glasscutting/
David Jenkins

Re: cutting thick stuff

Post by David Jenkins »

And I won't try it until I hit the lottery ...
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

interesting stuff. I apparently need to buy a tie before I make my next circle cut tho
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I use a similar but different approach, utilizing slightly less expensive tools (like a $1 screw driver instead of their auto tapper, along with a propane torch to finish the starts). I'm pretty sure you could do this on a transparent fused slab with no interior bubbles, that is sufficiently annealed. However the process is really all about clear float glass. I have to admit that my skillset is up to 12mm glass. I can't afford to do the learning curve for 19mm. The big skill you need to acquire is to get the edges 90º, and not flared. I once tried cutting a straight line on 36mm fused clear float glass with my cutter and a framing hammer. I was shocked when it worked.

Cheryl, I have seen pictures of guys in white shirts, ties, and aprons making leaded glass windows, including lamp blacking the putty. I think those photos were in the first half of the 20th century.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions