firing schedule drop out

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

carol nahoom

firing schedule drop out

Post by carol nahoom »

I am firing a 7" square with a 3" square drop out using 1" Duraboard. The Bullseye is 2 layers cut to 6 3/4". I am using 1" posts so it is dropping 2". For a 3" center drop out should I hold at a lower temperature or take it to a higher temperature? Does the smaller size of the drop out require whether to take it to a higher or lower holding temperature? I have been going to 1350 and holding it for 45 minutes. I know that, usually,slumping is usually done at a much lower temperature but with the smaller opening I didn't know what I needed to adjust. I am firing 3 pieces at one time and cannot seem to find a happy medium for all three. Some are slumping more and some less. I know where my hot spots are in the kiln and have been avoiding that area when I slump. I have checked the archive but couldn't find an answer to my question. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Carol