Can I trim the edges of a finished piece using water jet ?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Maggie Abdel Rahman

Can I trim the edges of a finished piece using water jet ?

Post by Maggie Abdel Rahman »

Hello !
I have a question about trimming the edges of finished piece using water jet or laser cutting. I did fusing and slumping in one firing using a mold I constructed myselt. I cut the glass larger than the desired shape to leave about 3.5 cm of glass resting on the border for the glass to sag easily inside the mold without accumulating in the bottom. The result was OK , and now I want to trim the edges. If I use a simple glass cutter the result is not guaranteed. Can I do the trimming using water jet, or laser cutting at a specialized shop? Thanks to all !
Attachments
slumped plate compressed.jpg
slumped plate compressed.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 11758 times
Marty

Re: Can I trim the edges of a finished piece using water jet

Post by Marty »

Most of us just use abrasives, either diamond or silicon carbide. If you've got a friend with a water jet, go for it.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

It can work with a waterjet but will likely cost you $100 to get it done. (based on local waterjet pricing)

As MArty said abrasives is likely a better way to go, you can spend the cash on something that'll be useful for years to come.
Rick Wilton
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

Since it is straight edges, you might also consider finding someone that has a glass cutting bandsaw and trim the edges that way, then cold work the edges. Unless you use abrasives to polish, you will probably need to fire polish (in case you hadn't thought of that)... even a water jet cut would need cold working on the edges.

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
Maggie Abdel Rahman

Mike Jordan wrote:Since it is straight edges, you might also consider finding someone that has a glass cutting bandsaw and trim the edges that way, then cold work the edges. Unless you use abrasives to polish, you will probably need to fire polish (in case you hadn't thought of that)... even a water jet cut would need cold working on the edges.

Mike
It is a paradox that not too many workshops in Egypt use bandsaws but more sophosticated machines are abundant because of the well established marble industry. What temperature would you suggest for fire polishing an already slumped piece? Should I keep it inside the original mold to avoid distortion?
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

Yes, keep it in the original mold. Otherwise you will unslump it.
Maggie Abdel Rahman

Many thanks for your ideas. They were very helpful !
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Maggie Abdel Rahman wrote:clip
because of the well established marble industry.
makes sense. I do recall that they've been cutting stone for a few years in that particular corner of the world.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I think they copied Havi's pyramids, too. :D Jen
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

The only issue I see is how you set the piece on the waterjet machine. The machine will cut plumb, relative to it's level base. Usually they put some solid throw away material beneath the glass that gets cut along with the glass. Your issue is to get the glass to sit stable and at the right angle. I have routinely cut thick fused glass on a waterjet machine.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Maggie Abdel Rahman

I think they (the workshop) will have to invert the piece and cut around the original shape or, as you mentioned, put some kind of support under the flat areas