Papyros, Kiln Liner and Bullseye Thinfire papers

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

georgecscott

Papyros, Kiln Liner and Bullseye Thinfire papers

Post by georgecscott »

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum but have used it a resource for quite a while. I've used Bullseye Thinfire (both old without logo, and new with logo) and Kiln Liner (currently the favorite) for fusing to achieve a very flat back. Usually I'm using system 96, but sometimes float plate or other glasses. When I try to fire a piece much larger than 12" across, the paper will often shrink and separate, and leave visible traces of the gap on the back glass surface. I've never used Papyros, but it seems that it is stronger as I hear people saying that you may even get more than one firing out of it. Does anyone know if it would be subject to the same shrinking/tearing phenomenon? Is there a way to prevent this from happening with the Kiln Liner?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Papyros, Kiln Liner and Bullseye Thinfire papers

Post by Brad Walker »

I don't think this is an issue of strength, it's shrinkage which becomes more noticeable with larger pieces.

The old thinfire was more likely to do this than the new one. Don't know about Kiln Liner, but I suspect Papyros would be less likely, too. But given that all of these products shrink, it may be inevitable with larger pieces. The thickness of the glass may also be a factor, it's more likely with heavier pieces.
chrisk

Post by chrisk »

I have used thin fire (old & new) and switched to Papyros. I don't have a shrinkage or split problem, do have very nice backs. I use BE glass.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I use Papyrus with System 96 glass. If I am firing transparents or clear for the bottom layer, I can usually remove the piece without messing up the paper. Like with everything else, opals are likely going to stick.

I don't typically reuse it, however (but it cleans up easily!).

Dana
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

I am using more Papyrus lately. If we are firing in our larger kilns for multiple fusings (as in classes), will use and reuse papyrus. Secret to reusing it is to let it cool completely. This can also be done with thinfire, but it doesn't hold together as well.

Barry
georgecscott

Post by georgecscott »

Thank for the input all. Sounds like I should give Papyros a try.