Pen/pencil that won't fire off

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jeanice

Pen/pencil that won't fire off

Post by Jeanice »

Is there a pen or pencil that will stay on a kiln shelf or ceramic mold and will not disappear after firing? Mostly want this for kiln shelves that I use for firing with silver leaf as well as fill weights for some CDV molds. Isn't there something that potters use?

Thanks in advance,
Jeanice
Jeanice
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Pen/pencil that won't fire off

Post by Brad Walker »

An ordinary lead pencil mark will stay on a kiln washed shelf without burning off. Haven't tried it, but would probably work for a mold as well.

Another trick is to label the items with anything, then take a digital photo before firing. Even if the labels burn away, the photo will tell you what's what.
linn keller

Post by linn keller »

you're right, brad. i have used reg. pencil to put be mold # and exact sizes of mold on the mold side and fired the molds. the pencil notation does stat\y in place.
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
Jeanice

Post by Jeanice »

Hmmm, I tried my mechanical pencil several times but it burned off of my "silver" kiln shelf. Will try a regular pencil next time. Thanks!
Jeanice
lmartine

Post by lmartine »

Hi Jeanice,

I used Decocolor markers on Laurie's bottomless ceramic molds (to identify the size of the blank required) as well as on my kiln shelves (to identify my 'silver' shelf). So far so good, my markings are still there after several of firings.

They come in different colours. Another big plus is that the marking does not wear off when I use my saw.

Lucie
seachange

Post by seachange »

have permanently marked my 'silver' shelves by filing a notch on one edge with a round file...but this is no help for writing on molds :|

best regards, seachange
Jeanice

Post by Jeanice »

Lucie - I've been using Decocolor for years in my stained glass. And I love the fact that it doesn't come off in the grinder or saw. Never tried it on kiln shelves!

seachange - that's another great idea!
Jeanice
MichaelEndo

Post by MichaelEndo »

I use an Amaco underglaze pencil to mark shelves and draw on the glass. It works well.
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

What is a DecoColor? Never heard of it before? Think I have to have one!
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

smallbitz wrote:What is a DecoColor? Never heard of it before? Think I have to have one!
DecoColor is a brand of pen.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Just looked them up on Amazon and read some of the review. Apparently the Extra Fine Point may turn out to be much wider.

http://www.amazon.com/Uchida-200-6A-6-P ... B0029LHN6W
Scroll down to the customer reviews for info.

I'm on the lookout for something as fine as the Sharpie Ultrafine marker that will survive wet working. To make those stay, even when using wet, I've been lightly sandblasting the area where the marker will go on the back of the glass. That means flipping the pattern piece to mark and cut on the back. The marker will stay through extensive wet working and clean off with acetone but only opalescent glass will hide the sandblasting. Jen