paints face down on shelf

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jkglassworks

paints face down on shelf

Post by jkglassworks »

Hello,
I am currently working on a butterfly wing project.
I silkscreened all the black on the wings after long and laborious attempts at hand painting or applying frit.
anyways, I used Glassline paint, took it up to a full fuse at 1500.
NOW, I want to flip them over and do the other side.
My concern is whether the paint would re-liquefy and pick up kiln wash.
Perhaps this is a dumb question, but I just wanted to check before I do something that might possibly ruin all my hard work.
And I know I could do a sample, but I am kinda working on a tight firing schedule this week and don't really have the time to devote to a firing just for testing.
thanks for your help
IMG_0267.JPG
Bert Weiss

Re: paints face down on shelf

Post by Bert Weiss »

You must test one.

I never used Glassline paints. I use Ferro Sunshine series which are similar (could be identical I have no clue). I mix in mica powders and then I can fire paint side down with no problems at all. It does yield a matte surface, no gloss. I often paint the downside and fire with clear glass on top. I can even fire in stainless bowl molds as hot as 1420 (using float glass). That yields a one firing bowl with clear glass as the top surface.

The hotter you need to fire, the more likely you will encounter problems. It could work slick though.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
jkglassworks

Post by jkglassworks »

rats. oh well. I'll move around the order of things I guess...I'll stick a few in tonight and report back tomorrow

thanks
joanne
charlie

Post by charlie »

when i've fired bottles with glass paint on the bottom surface, it's pulled up big chunks of wash, and i have to scrape it off. it does leave a residue that i can't get off.
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

Although it will mean another firing, you might try putting a thin layer of clear powder frit over it to seal in the paint then flip them.

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
osnat

Post by osnat »

I paint many time from both side in one fire,
And it is good result.
The color must be dry
carol carson

Post by carol carson »

Flip and fire them with the thin layer of clear powder (as mentioned above) on the face up side, and place them on a sheet of thinfire paper tacked down at the edges (away from the pieces) so the already fired Glassline wing lines won't stick to your shelf and [will probably] come out a bit shiny. The paints will not re-liquify and ruin your artwork.
If you don't have Thinfire paper (or the Papyrus brand) I would recommend (a weird thing I do) wetting the wings with water or spraying them with hairspray, sifting a thing layer of clear powder on them [while wet] and then placing that side face down on your shelf to fire. The thin clear layer will keep them from sticking [as much] to the shelf, as having no paper on opal glass.
jkglassworks

Post by jkglassworks »

hello,
just wanted to report back on the butterfly wings.
I flipped them over, so the face side down was a previously painted (with Glassline) and previously full fused (1500) design of a butterfly wing. I then painted the fae up side, applying the white dots as well and fired it to full fuse (again 1500).
I am happy to report that the previously painted, face down side did NOT pick up any kiln wash. it is of course matte, but that is ok.
thanks for everyones response. I appreciate it, you guys are great!!
IMG_0280.JPG
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Very pretty. Just curious, why did you fire the second firing to full fuse (1500)? Is that the temp. that Glassline requires, I've never used it so don't know. Thanks, Jen
jkglassworks

Post by jkglassworks »

yes. that is the temp they suggest. Lower temps leave it matte and kinda streaky looking. 1500 is smooth and glossy. I am not sure if the same would be achieved slightly lower...
Joanne
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thank you for the information, Joanne. Jen