Glassline Best Price?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

beninfl

Glassline Best Price?

Post by beninfl »

Looking to grab a full set of Glassline paints....... Who's got the best price for a full set? USA Vendors preferred Thanks so much!

PS -- Going to try and make some reticellos with them. :)
Valerie Adams

Re: Glassline Best Price?

Post by Valerie Adams »

Bullseye has just started carrying the new Colorline paints; they're amazing! They also qualify for Bullseye's volume discount.
beninfl

Post by beninfl »

I found a seller on Amazon.com that has them for $2.50 per color for the 2oz bottles. 43 bottles delivered came to ~$130 with shipping including two sets of the tips. Couldnt find anywhere else that was close to that price.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Have you used Glasslines before? If not, I would grab a couple of bottles and play around before investing in a full set.

2 cents,

Dana W.
beninfl

Post by beninfl »

Nope, but for $3 a bottle, if I dont like it, I can sell them for $9 on eBay. ;) 43 bottles will be here Friday.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Well, get your ebay account up to date ;).

Dana W.
beninfl

Post by beninfl »

JestersBaubles wrote:Well, get your ebay account up to date ;).

Dana W.
I dont understand why the negativity towards Glassline paints. Perhaps you could educate us?
jkglassworks

Post by jkglassworks »

I love my Glasslines!
here is my sage advice ;)

#1 Don't lose the tip cleaner-outers. you will need them numerous times. if you set the bottle down with a fine tip in it and walk away for 5 minutes, you will need it when you come back. They clog very easy. But as long as you have those little reamers (or whatever they call them) you will be fine.

#2 If you don't take it to a full fuse the paints will not look good. They need a full fuse.

#3 Whatever you do, DO NOT LOSE the little cleaner outer thingies.... ;)
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

beninfl wrote:I dont understand why the negativity towards Glassline paints. Perhaps you could educate us?
In my experience, the colors aren't very rich, they end up matte unless you fire to 1500 (and I never full-fuse to 1500), they don't flow easily with a brush, the coverage is spotty/uneven, and they dry up quickly, Other than that, they're fine ;). I can get away using them for some things (for instance, impressionist type scenes when augmented with frit or just "dabbing them on" for a textured effect), but in general, they produce disappointing results.

I much prefer Kaiser paints (aside from the fact that last night I made a "happy sun" suncatcher very unhappy by cracking it with the heat gun while impatiently drying the paints :mrgreen: ).

As always, YMMV.

Dana W.
jkglassworks

Post by jkglassworks »

I think for doing reticellos they would be the perfect thing
beninfl

Post by beninfl »

Thanks for the pro's an cons. We'll see how it goes. ;)