Fusing sand in a piece

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jodi Longobardo

Fusing sand in a piece

Post by Jodi Longobardo »

Hi everyone,

I have a customer who wants a memorial pendant with a beach scene and ashes. This would normally be no problem, but she just let me know that she wants the sand part of the beach scene (which I would normally make with frit) to be made of actual sand from a beach she and her loved one visited. I hate to tell someone no, but my instinct is that using enough sand to create the look she wants would cause bubbles or COE problems. Has anyone ever successfully fired a quantity of sand between layers of glass? I know I could probably add a sprinkling of real sand with no problems, but don't see how I could include enough to look like a beach.

Thanks for any advice!

--jodi
Valerie Adams

Re: Fusing sand in a piece

Post by Valerie Adams »

I think it was the 2012 magnet exchange, but there was a wonderful magnet with a domed top which was full of sand. Perhaps check with Brad to see if the older archives are available.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Here are two ways to use sand.

One is as an inclusion between layers. This will work, but it's critical to only use a little sand, not a lot. Too much sand and the piece will crack. You also need to keep some space between the sand and the edges of the glass so that the edges will seal during the firing.

A second way to use sand is sprinkled on top of a piece. The sand will stick easily.

If you think it will take more than a little sand to get the look you want, mix a little sand with some similar colored powder.

And finally, some sands will change color during the firing, so make sure you test.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I would do a test. I tried to do a large sculpture using sand/alumina hydrate as a space filler, that I planned to remove. The first time, I used olivine sand and the glass cracked. The second time, I used masons sand, and it did not. The difference is coefficient of expansion. Every material has one, not just glass.

I posted my cracked glass experience here on WGBB, and Hugh McKay was able to tell me about the difference in expansion characteristics between olivine sand (magnesium sand) and silica sand. When I switched to the silica, it worked. Thank you Hugh, and everybody else who shares their insight and knowledge.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Jodi Longobardo

Post by Jodi Longobardo »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I told her I could only use a little real sand and use frit for the rest. I don't think putting the sand on top is the look she wants.

--jodi