Caldera collar on Olympic hotsie kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Barbel

Caldera collar on Olympic hotsie kiln

Post by Barbel »

I have been using my Olympic Hotsie kiln for pulling murrini, however, the Hotsie's chamber height of 4.5" is somewhat restricting and I would like to increase it.
The dimensions of a Caldera blank collar would fit in order to stack it on my Hotsie, giving me a new heighth of 8.5". Collar heighth is 4". However, I am somewhat concerned about reaching top temperature (gernerally 1490-1510). The specs on the Hotsie indicate an interior of 0.17cuft, 1800 degrees max temp, 1800 Watts.
The Caldera's interior chamber of .25cuft supposedly reaches a max temp of 2350 degrees at 1800 Watts and even with the collar it claims being able to have top temperature of 2000 degrees.
Will my Hotsie with a Caldera collar give me enough heat/high enough tremperature to pull murrini?
Thank you,
Barbel
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Caldera collar on Olympic hotsie kiln

Post by Brad Walker »

Olympic also makes a collar for the Hotsie.

The 3 key version of the Hotsie with a controller and a quartz window has a controller limitation of 1800F, but it will actually reach around 2350F. I suspect you're pulling murrini at around 1500 or so. If you added a collar you could still reach that temp and probably over 1800 as well.

I noticed you put the kiln up for sale in the Classifieds; if you're looking for another option there are quite a few larger (i.e., taller) kilns available that would work for murrini pulling.
Barbel

Re: Caldera collar on Olympic hotsie kiln

Post by Barbel »

Thank you, Brad!
You made my day!
Barbel