Stainless ring mold

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim burchett

Stainless ring mold

Post by jim burchett »

Made the mistake of using thinfire to line a ring mold for a strip circle..when it came out it is stuck in the mold..the glass is intact so dont think it is stuck to the steel just stuck. any ideas how to salvage this? I'm currently trying to reheat it a bit to see if the steel loosens.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
DonMcClennen

Re: Stainless ring mold

Post by DonMcClennen »

Yes.... easy reheat, steel expands, ring is released! :P
"The Glassman"
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Jim

Stainless steel shrinks more than glass during the cool down, so the ring is holding on to the glass. It is recommended to use a thicker layer of paper which will make up for the expansion differences. So yes, reheat. Try placing the glass raised up on something like a firebrick. Heat at a rate you would reheat, and somewhere above 300, the ring will fall off. Or maybe you can help persuade it to fall off...
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

:oops: Brain Fart...of course I know to use a thicker paper w the stainless mold. heated it up to about 300 and it popped out..happy there was no sticking to the glass..will try to remember to use a thicker seperator the next time :roll:
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
josie

Post by josie »

Thanks I made a similar error yesterday on a ring mold. Thawing it out to heat it up as I type.
Chris Lowry

Post by Chris Lowry »

Any reason you can’t use thicker stainless rings as long as you use fiber paper for a buffer? I have some 1/8” and 1/4” thick rings that were for a different project.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Thicker will work fine.

Or just cut a hole in something like a piece of Ceramaguard and for a lot less money than stainless you'll have something that will work just as well.
Chris Lowry

Post by Chris Lowry »

Thanks Brad, good ideas