pitted shelf

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim burchett

pitted shelf

Post by jim burchett »

Any suggestions on how to permanently repair a cpl of small pits in a mullite shelf? I have tried making a paste of kilnwash and putting it in with a putty knife, but it doesn't last.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Valerie Adams

Re: pitted shelf

Post by Valerie Adams »

JenKen supplies a paste-like patch material for their fiber kilns. I've applied it with a putty knife, let it dry, and then sanded smooth. Its held up for about a year so far. Might work on the shelf too.
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

good to know. I too am the owner of pitted shelves.
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

I recently purchased some Ceramic Coating made by Primo Primer that is supposed to solve this problem. I then purchased a perfect new smooth shelf so I have this unopened. If you want to try it email me! To read more about it go to Ed Hoy and look under Primo Shelf coating I think.
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

I had gotten a tube of refractory fiber caulk which I am trying as I write...it is a bit grainy but will possobly sand smooth..or smoother than the divots. Thanks laurie, I'check that out
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I once made a putty using colloidal silica hardener, and dust from a vermiculite board. The dust was easy to make, just rub sandpaper on a piece of vermiculite board. The putty was easy to apply. Once fired in, it can be sanded again. It seemed to be durable. I did this at somebody else's studio, and it worked remarkably well. You must use a good coat of kilnwash on top of this.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Yardic Glassworks

Post by Yardic Glassworks »

Usually once I figure out howm much money and time it's going to cost to try and save a shelf, I end up buying a new one for about the same and cut up the old one for dams....
Tim Yardic
Yardic Glassworks