Glass Enamel questions

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Buttercup

Re: Glass Enamel questions

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks for the clarification, Bert and Peter. Jen
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

Whichever (powdered) paint you end up with, we use 100% glycerine to mix it up when silkscreening. It works marvelously.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Cant agree with you Mark.
The change in viscosity of Glycerin is pretty significant as you heat it to dry. (if you don't, it takes forever to dry at room temp)
Anyway, when I tested Glycerin, and I tested it well, I found that the "paint" flowed some as it dried.

Barry
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

Funny how we concluded two different opinions using glycerine for a base. I never attempted to let it dry - just put it in the kiln to heat right off. We completed four stained glass windows with every piece painted that matched the original ones, and they looked identical - nice line definition, no problems.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Mark, your brand of glycerine may be different than Barry's. So what brands were you both using? Yes the question may seem strange but with the differing results and the different sources for glycerine who knows even though they are supposed to be the 'same'.