Getting indentations

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

peterbr

Getting indentations

Post by peterbr »

Question to the experts ou there. I have the large radial slumper with the indentations around the outside. I just slumped a two layer system 96 bowl on the slumper. I slumped at 1225 for a 25 minute hold. The indentations are light rather than deep around the border. Would a higher temperature or a longer slump create more of a carved appearance from the mold? What is the correct temp and hold time for this mold. Thanks in advance.
Kevin Midgley

Re: Getting indentations

Post by Kevin Midgley »

yes,
your kiln, your time, your temp. Test.
peterbr

Post by peterbr »

Thanks Kevin. Was hoping someone climbed the mountain first and knew the way. Does leaving it on mold and retiring at longer time and temp work or start with new fused blank?
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

If it is this mold, I have found that the pattern is not carved deeply enough to make much of a difference in the finished piece:

http://www.slumpys.com/Sales/Lg-Radial-Plate-Mold

It's a disappointment -- the mold looks so lovely just sitting there :mrgreen: .

2 cents,
Dana W.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Heatwork is a function of both time and temperature. Also, it depends on your kiln construction and configuration.

So, you can raise the temp, hold longer, or both. Each has it's set of shit that happens when you do that. As Kevin says, nobody can tell you what will happen in your kiln. Test...

If you screw it up, you probably learn more than if you get it right. or almost right.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
peterbr

Post by peterbr »

Bert,

You are probably right. Unfortunately, the mold might be the problem as previously stated. The mold I am using is exactly that one and the indentations might not be deep enough to carve the appropriate amount. Oh well, there's $25 down the drain. Can heat and hold overcome a poorly made mold?

Peter
Marty

Post by Marty »

Peter and Dana- Fuse your blank on cut fiber paper (see BE's kilncarving stuff) similar to Slump's mold pattern and then slump it on that miserable mold.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Marty wrote:Peter and Dana- Fuse your blank on cut fiber paper (see BE's kilncarving stuff) similar to Slump's mold pattern and then slump it on that miserable mold.
No need to use the miserable mold. Just fuse on fiber paper and slump on any mold you want. The fused design will remain.
Thomas Decker

Post by Thomas Decker »

this mold makes for a subtle effect, it looks best using cathedral or clear glass that you can see the design from the top other wise it is not very impressive as a design on the bottom ofa piece
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Yes, I know about kiln carving :) and yes, of course, I have used it only with transparent glass.

The idea is nice -- It would be lovely if they had carved the design deeper.

Dana W.
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

Bert Weiss wrote:Each has it's set of shit that happens when you do that.
I have been LMAO for days at this succinct summary of information from hundreds of books, articles and classes, and thousands upon thousands of posts. The sentence is too subtle for ROFLMAO.

Jerry
Jerry