Making a Vitrigraph Kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

G's

Making a Vitrigraph Kiln

Post by G's »

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn my small Satellite J-100 jewelry kiln into a vitrigraph kiln? The top part is the interior of the kiln and the narrower bottom part is pretty empty and houses the element ends traveling to the temperature dial.
Thanks!
Ginny
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Making a Vitrigraph Kiln

Post by Brad Walker »

The Satellite J-100 is an $800 burnout kiln. Why not sell it to someone interested in enameling or small castings and use the money to buy a Hotsite/Hotbox/Caldera or similar kiln made for use with glass. The models sell for $400 to $600 new and would work much better than trying to convert the kiln you have.
Barbel

Post by Barbel »

Love my Olympic Hotsie kiln!
I use it only as vitrigraph kiln, the new collar gives it more heighth than the Caldera has, all sorts of new options opening up!

Thank you, Brad for finding the collar for me, it is clicking along right now with a pot full of 'goodies'!
Barbel
G's

Post by G's »

Huh. I didn't even think about that. Anybody want to buy a jewelry kiln?
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

G's wrote:Huh. I didn't even think about that. Anybody want to buy a jewelry kiln?
Try posting this is the "buy and sell" board here. make sure you list the model. price and age of kiln. Your location would be helpful too. I bought a paragon calandra along with 18''X18"X6' metal shelves for my set up. swapped out a kiln shelf and kaiser lee board for the bottom the kiln. I just bought an extra collar for this kiln to use taller pots. Its a great kiln for pulling cane.