1/16 fiber paper

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

JenniferB

1/16 fiber paper

Post by JenniferB »

I needed quite a lot of 1/16 fiber paper for several projects I wanted to make. Buying it by the sheet is expensive so I went on-line to look for larger amounts. I found, and ordered, a roll of CeramSource ceramic fiber paper.

<http://ceramsource.com/wp-content/uploa ... -Sheet.pdf>

I'm not sure I'm happy with what I bought. It's very scratchy feeling and not at all like the usual fiber paper I've used. I'm a bit leery of using it. What do you-all think about it? Should I pre-fire it? Do you think it will damage my kiln in any way? The health warnings that come with it are pretty dire! Should I just scrap it and look for something better? If so, do you have any suggestions for where to get affordable 1/16 fiber paper in large amounts?

Jennifer
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: 1/16 fiber paper

Post by Brad Walker »

I believe the Unifrax 970 paper, which I use, is a better quality paper than what you bought. But the paper you have shouldn't harm the kiln in any way. Pre-firing isn't generally necessarily, unless you discover you're getting devit or other problem from using the paper (it really depends on how you're using it).

All of these papers are alumino-silicate products, which mean they will be labelled as carcinogens. So long as you take the proper precautions (wear an N95 mask or P100 respirator when handling a lot, long sleeves, etc.) you should be ok.

Not sure where you live or what is your definition of "affordable", but I do have a wholesale account and could get a roll of the Unifrax paper for you if you wish. Here's information about their fiber papers: http://www.unifrax.com/web/UnifraxHome3 ... enDocument Also, the prices of all of these products has gone up quite a bit the last few years.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

you can smooth rough feeling paper by sprinkleing with dry kw or alumina hydrate and rubbing that around with your hand or a dry paint brush.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

I'm curious as to what you paid for a roll.

Any insight would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Rick Wilton
JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

Rick,

Here's a link to the page of CeraMaterials website where you'll find all the prices for the fiber paper they carry.

<http://www.ceramaterials.com/ceramicfiberpaper.html>

Jennifer
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

I did look but didn't see that page.

Thank you,

(edit it was a different website I checked)
Rick Wilton
JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

Rick,

If you go to the main Ceramaterials.com website, then click on 'ceramic fiber paper' in the list down the left hand side of the home page, you should see the price page.

Jennifer