Kiln height Qs

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

gthomson

Kiln height Qs

Post by gthomson »

Hi All,

I've got a choice of two kilns, both 120V, ~1500W. One is the Evenheat 14-6 (14" dia, 6" high). The other is from a local kiln builder and is 14" dia and 9" tall. They normally build pottery kilns, but for glass, they add a top element, so it has both top and side elements.

I can see advantages to the extra height (drop rings, spacing away from the element, etc), but will the extra surface area make the kiln slower to heat and quicker to cool?

I can get the top and sides individually controlled or switched (using manual control). Is there any advantage or would that just be too many variables for a newbie?

TIA,

Glenn
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Is the second kiln square or still octagon? Are they both 15 amp or will the other one be 20 Amp.

I would recommend getting the controls. You can always just keep them on or off and this point and at a later date then you can use them.

Stuart
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
gthomson

Post by gthomson »

Stuart Clayman wrote:Is the second kiln square or still octagon? Are they both 15 amp or will the other one be 20 Amp.
They are both octagonal and 15 amp.
I would recommend getting the controls. You can always just keep them on or off and this point and at a later date then you can use them.
OK. Two manual controls or just an on/off switch for the side elements?

Thanks,

Glenn
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

of course.. manual.. you can always have them all the way on or all the way off... but with manual you have the intermediate.
Glassworks by a Clayman
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Another question.. if they are both 2500 watts... and one has top elements only and one has top and side... on the second one how much power will go to the top elements? Will it get hot enough with just the top element? you might need to sides also to get to the top temp. Also, the sides will help if you get into casting where you will be keeping the heat on to melt the insides completely.

See if you can get more power in the one that is going to be built for you and go to 20 amp. This way you can get more power in the top and the remainder in the side.

Stuart
Glassworks by a Clayman
gthomson

Post by gthomson »

Stuart Clayman wrote:
See if you can get more power in the one that is going to be built for you and go to 20 amp. This way you can get more power in the top and the remainder in the side.

Stuart
I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't thought of that, especially since I'm getting a circuit put in for the kiln anyway...

Thanks!

Glenn
charlie

Post by charlie »

rdguy wrote:
Stuart Clayman wrote:

Stuart
I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't thought of that, especially since I'm getting a circuit put in for the kiln anyway...

Thanks!

Glenn
if you are rewiring anyway, get as much as your pocket will afford. go with 220, and probably 50 amp wiring as a minimum. you can always use a smaller breaker to protect a smaller kiln.

it's expensive to rewire again if you buy a larger kiln later.
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Charlie,
It is great that you have time again to post here. You were so busy with the mags we hardly saw you here. Glad you are back with your great ideas... including this one.... very practical.

Stuart
Glassworks by a Clayman