Cutting Spectrum Baroque - total frustration

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marty

Post by Marty »

glass1 wrote:Sometimes warming the glass helps a lot. You can use a heating pad, a hair dryer, a heat gun, the oven. This works especially well with Youghiogheny.
Why?
Liam

solution:

Post by Liam »

Heat to 1400 deg then cut with plastic scisors
W.W.S.D.
(what would spab do)
Barbara Elmore

Post by Barbara Elmore »

Believe it or not, we have found that cutting Baroque on the "wrong" side works much better for us! In this case, the wrong side is the bumpy, wobbly one. Go steady and a little slower when scoring, so that you don't skip along the bumps. Then use breakers from both ends to the middle.
Thanks, Barbara Hale Elmore

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement" Indian Proverb
Lionel

Post by Lionel »

Is your cutter dry?
Who old is it?

Score a mirror and look at the score line - if you see any gaps replace it.

Other than that - you have a crispy sheet - T glass or end run.

Get a new sheet and a new cutter - besides - You're worth it!
Alice

Baroque ba-reaking!!

Post by Alice »

Hello Mira,
There's one other approach you might like to try.
After making the score, tap along the score line from underneath the glass (without flipping the glass over, just support it while you tap!!!)with the ball end of your glass cutter.
Try this on clear glass first and as you tap underneath the score, you should see it start to 'run' (the glass is actually fracturing and hopefully following the line of the score). It is then must easier to get a clean break.
Hope this is helpful!!.

Good luck
Alice
mikefromitaly

Post by mikefromitaly »

thanks for suggest.have a look what i found about
http://www.spectrumglass.com/Library/Sc ... roque.html

thanks for support
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Just one remark about breaking quickly rather than slowly. If the cut is tricky, or the piece very narrow, I will always breakout VERY slowly and gently, giving the glass time to follow the score, instead of taking its own course. And I do prefer a running plier for long narrow strips. (I like my Fletcher Terry runner as I can apply very gentle pressure.)

If the piece is wide enough, then using an edge under the glass is useful. Don't do this with really narrow pieces though - you can't get enough leverage, and please be very careful if you are doing this over the edge of a table to keep your hands to the sides of the glass so that they are not in the path of a bad break. I had a student do this once a long time ago and he sliced up the inside of his wrist pretty badly - had to rush him to the hospital. Now students aren't allowed to break over the table edge, I have them put a straight edge on the table under the score line and press down from on top of the glass. Actually I had to cut a really thick piece of glass recently, put the ruler on the carpeted floor, the glass on top and jumped on it.
Elizabeth in UK

Post by Elizabeth in UK »

Barbara Elmore wrote:Believe it or not, we have found that cutting Baroque on the "wrong" side works much better for us! In this case, the wrong side is the bumpy, wobbly one. Go steady and a little slower when scoring, so that you don't skip along the bumps. Then use breakers from both ends to the middle.
We have always treated the side with the definite swirls as the 'right ' side to cut on as it is the side on the top when made. As Barbara said - go slowly and break it from each end or use the Morton safety break tool that makes the cut run a little at a time.