Olympic kiln problems

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

aliceRI

Olympic kiln problems

Post by aliceRI »

I have an Olympic kiln GF8CS. It was delivered 14 months ago. Since I have gotten it, I have had to replace a lid element a few months back and now I received an error message E--2 which implies a relay problem. (The lid elements do not shut off when the kiln is plugged in.) I replaced the relay for those elements but it did not fix the problem. I was told to now replace all relays and if the problem is not rectified I will need to mail them my controller so they can check out what is wrong and diagnose the problem. Since having the kiln, I use it on average once a week at the MOST. I have trouble getting at the bolts that hold the mechanism in place and bought a special rachet, to no avail. There is an area kiln repair person that I have a call into in hopes he can do the last relay replacements for me, (it takes me hours to get the bolts off and everything apart and back together again.) I have received the element and one relay free of charge and have been promised to receive the other two I replace also free of charge so I am not questioning that. I am upset right now as I have need of the kiln and if they need to check out the controller, how long will that be? If the three relay replacement doesn't work (which I am skeptical that it will), what do you think are my options? I have a Jen Ken JK2 which I have had no problem with and have been running it 24/7. Do you think a new controller is in order? Something is happening here that doesn't seem right.
Frustrated in RI
suds

Re: Olympic kiln problems

Post by suds »

Soooo.... you've had it 14 months, use it about once a week and you've already had an element burn out and now maybe the controller is dead?

Any chance it's running on the wrong voltage? (IE: 208 volt kiln on 240 volt circuit)
Have you measured the input voltage to make sure it's reasonable?

If you unplug the control wire(s) from the controller to the relay coil you can verify if the problem is controller or relay.
If the control wire is disconnected and the elements STILL come on then it's a relay problem.
If the elements stay off with the coil wire disconnected but come on as soon as you hook the wire back up then something is up with the controller.
Steve
Arnold Howard

Re: Olympic kiln problems

Post by Arnold Howard »

aliceRI wrote: I have trouble getting at the bolts that hold the mechanism in place and bought a special rachet, to no avail.
Try removing only one mounting bolt per relay and loosen the other bolt. Then slide the relay out from under the loose bolt. This is much faster than removing two bolts.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com