Best Wet Band Sander

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Gilpin

Best Wet Band Sander

Post by Linda Gilpin »

I know you've probably discussed this in a thread before, but I can't seem to find it. Could some of you recommend a good wet band sander. Any thoughts on buying a used one? Good idea or not? Any advice is appreciated!
Terry Rothwell

Re: Best Wet Band Sander

Post by Terry Rothwell »

How much grinding are you intending to do? There is a pretty good bench top model available made by Gryphon. If all your doing is cleaning up edges and taking sharp corners off that can be done with a regular belt sander or even a disk sander with the correct type of belt or disk with a coating of Formax F-26 abrasive belt grease. I get mine from Woodworkers Supply.
Linda Gilpin

Post by Linda Gilpin »

It would probably have low use. Just want it to smooth edges of thick pieces and put the fire polish back on without another firing.
Terry Rothwell

Post by Terry Rothwell »

I've used this type for that sort of work and it works well. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-5-in- ... /202312074. You can get any glass shop that works with C. R. Laurence products to order self stick disks for you. One of these is best to have also CRL 5" Backup Pads for Stick-On Sanding Discs. Again, your glass shop can order one for you. This all depends on the overall size of the pieces you want to work. Smaller pieces would probably be better on a bench top wet belt,
charlie

Post by charlie »

[quote="Terry Rothwell"]I've used this type for that sort of work and it works well. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-5-in- ... /202312074. You can get any glass shop that works with C. R. Laurence products to order self stick disks for you. One of these is best to have also CRL 5" Backup Pads for Stick-On Sanding Discs. Again, your glass shop can order one for you. This all depends on the overall size of the pieces you want to work. Smaller pieces would probably be better on a bench top wet belt,[/quote]

using a hand disk sander on edges isn't recommended. you have to clamp the object down quite well, or you risk tossing it if an edge catches. furthermore, not having a fixed sanding surface, it's pretty hard to get a perfectly flat edge. it works better if you're rounding the edge.

also, i've heard nothing good about the gryphon. i'd go with a covington first.
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

I tried quite a few WBS before I decided on a Covington. I've found that now I have it, I use it all the time. Very versatile tool and well worth the money. Here is a link to HIS and the one that I purchased http://www.hisglassworks.com/cart/Covin ... 8464Y1dW-8. They are wonderful at HIS, and if you call them they are great to talk to about what will work best for your needs.

Dot.
misteroldhouse

Post by misteroldhouse »

I like the CRL / Somaca 104" WBS, BUT it's a large, not inexpensive, floor model.

I switched to it from a table-mounted Covington and saw a world of difference. So if you can stomach that large of a tool, it,s great!
Larry Pile
Artist
Kessler Craftsman
Dallas, Tx
www.kesslercraftsman.com
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

106" Somaca..built like a tank and will tackle anything you can throw at it, will last forever
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

I had used the larger floor model of CRL's sander in Avery Anderson's class. I liked the feel of it and the natural stance I held while using it. I could use my body to move the article to get broad even results and received so my compliments on the pieces I cold worked that I decided to buy one. But not being able to afford a new one, purchased one from a board member selling his equipment. Even with shipping from Illinois to Washington (not DC) it was $1200. I felt this was a nice deal. It came with 8 extra belts. Unless they are prolific artists who cold work daily I think the equipment is lighter used than production equipment. It is the metal version of water catcher (now plastic), but I coated it with a good coat of paint to help add to protecting it from corrosion. I am very happy with this. I also have limited counter space and wanted something heavy duty enough if I got into casting it would stand up to the use. I purchase many items used; it has been a real win for me. I also got a Taurus 3 ring saw from another individual and a nice circle cutter... the list goes on. I'd rather wait and get the best I can afford than get something that is less expensive and not exactly what I need (want).