Frit Maker

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim burchett

Frit Maker

Post by jim burchett »

J ust picked up a Braun KS2 coffe grinder at Goodwill for $3...tried it on some FV..works great! Unfortunately the blade is broken so I'll have to replace it for $6..gonna save me a whole lot of pounding.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Haydo

Re: Frit Maker

Post by Haydo »

Affordable Inspirations from Tasmania sell a product that seems suitable for a small studio as it claims that minimal powder is produced. I'll buy one next time I'm in shopping mode. I've got my old knuckles dragging on the ground model still going but am just about over all the cleaning and drying hassles. I've used a milkshake maker previously with great results but then it always comes down to maintenance, I'm sick of being a maintenance man. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Alexis Dinno

Post by Alexis Dinno »

Haydo wrote:Affordable Inspirations from Tasmania sell a product that seems suitable for a small studio as it claims that minimal powder is produced. I'll buy one next time I'm in shopping mode. I've got my old knuckles dragging on the ground model still going but am just about over all the cleaning and drying hassles. I've used a milkshake maker previously with great results but then it always comes down to maintenance, I'm sick of being a maintenance man. peace, haydo
Minimal powder is the least desirable property for my purposes... I use an iron-pipe mortar and pestle by hand, and if I happen to have frit around and need powder, a rock tumbler with 20 1.25" steel balls in it. I wish I had something that was just devastatingly fast and non-tiring.
charlie

Post by charlie »

[quote="jim burchett"]J ust picked up a Braun KS2 coffe grinder at Goodwill for $3...tried it on some FV..works great! Unfortunately the blade is broken so I'll have to replace it for $6..gonna save me a whole lot of pounding.[/quote]

what are you going to do to get the metal pieces out of the frit? are the blades magnetic?
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

A better cheap fix would be a sink disposal. Boyce L set his up in a steel drum lid with a vacuum cleaner sucking dust out just under the bottom.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

A garbage disposal is on the "to do " list..this was an impulse purchase. Presently using two pipes and with a rehabbing rotator cuff its hard to gring/pound the glass manually. For the purpose I will be using this frit a bit of contamination is insignificant
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Fiona Collins

Post by Fiona Collins »

Haydo, if it's the Glass eater you're looking at from AI, I got one and found it useless, lots of dust, lots of powder and you have to drag a magnet through to get the steel filings out. Pounded forever for very little result. Have gone back to heat / quench / hammer ....
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Thanks for the tip Fiona. When I posted earlier I meant to say minimal dust instead of powder. Shame about all the filings. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!