Boron Nitride after Kiln Wash?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

smallbitz

Boron Nitride after Kiln Wash?

Post by smallbitz »

In several small bowls (ceramic bisque) that I do some production work in, the kiln wash eventually chips, needs to be sandblasted out and re-washed. I was curious if I sandblasted them really well of all kiln wash, could I spray them with MR97 or Slide 1800? It sure would be easier than having them chip - just re-spraying them.

Anyone done this? Thanks in advance!

Dot
Jeanice

Re: Boron Nitride after Kiln Wash?

Post by Jeanice »

I have a few molds that I have done this and I love the smoother surface. Remember that once you use BN you can't go back to kiln wash. As far as using Slide... I have had two issues with glass sticking to molds when using BN, both happened when using Slide. The glass never did come off the molds.
Jeanice
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

Thanks. I'm gonna blast that KW off and spray them with MR97. I've only used it on SS molds in the past, but I sure think it will be easier on these particular molds! Glad to know it will work. I'll be sure not to use KW on them after the MR97.
Marian

Post by Marian »

I have the steep sided jumping bean 3x3 molds from Slumpy's . I used MR 97 on them when they were new and they were so slippery the glass blanks slid off sideways in the slump cycle. I scrubbed them with a green scrubby pad and then used just alumina hydrate mixed with water in a spray bottle to recoat. The MR 97 appeared to wash off, no big deal. The molds are fine, not so slippery now, the MR97 didn't cause any more trouble. I use the molds constantly again, I do recoat often as the corners can bind, alumina just washes off and they can be coated easily. Bert Weiss has many posts on kiln wash and alumina powder.
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

I would never sandblast one of my ceramic molds. Seems too harsh, could cause damage to the mold and really not necessary . To get old kiln wash off it just sakes fine sand paper or a green scrubbie. Although we are a supplier for MR97 I do not use it on my Bottomless Molds. You can....but I just do not get the point when Bullseye kiln wash applied once lasts many many (did I say many?) firings. I do use it on all of my casting molds and on our new Texture molds.
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com