kiln wash sticking

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

AJK25

kiln wash sticking

Post by AJK25 »

All of a sudden my kiln wash is sticking to my pieces of fused glass. Not sure why. I've been using the same kiln boards and kiln wash for years, and it never used to stick. Now it's sticking. Not sure why. Could it be because the boards are getting older? I'm using the same kiln wash (from Bullseye) and applying it the same way.

Any thoughts?

Drew
Marty

Re: kiln wash sticking

Post by Marty »

My first thought is that your thermocouple is acting up- have you noticed any changes in the fired glass that would be due to excess heat?
Second thought- new batch of kw?
AJK25

Post by AJK25 »

i think the thermocouple is ok. Might be the kiln wash.

Thanks Marty.
Mark Kemp

Post by Mark Kemp »

I got a new tub of BE kilnwash at some point, and it looked different -- color was still pinkish, but different than before. Enough so, I checked with them to make sure it was the real stuff. But after I started using it, I had some sticking problems, even on cathedrals. I had never needed to prefire shelves before that, but I started preheating them to about 300F to drive off water, and haven't had much problem since then.
Find peace in your heart.

www.azurefire.etsy.com
AJK25

Post by AJK25 »

thanks