scratch and wet belt sander

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

vblue

scratch and wet belt sander

Post by vblue »

I did a "flip and fire" on an 8" x 8" piece. When I took it out of the kiln, I found a scratch that I can feel with my finger nail.

I have access to a large wet belt sander with the various grits of belts. Can I use this to buff out the scratch...knowing I need to work the whole surface? Then fire polish?

Thanks,
Vernelle
charlie

Re: scratch and wet belt sander

Post by charlie »

why can't you just do a full fire? that would also remove the scratch. you may need to dam it if it's thicker than 1/4" so it doesn't spread, but the colors won't move like they would have if it was still in pieces.
vblue

Post by vblue »

Thanks Charlie. I wasn't sure refiring would work or not. Will refire tomorrow.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Where did the scratch come from? Most scratches don't survive a fuse firing.

Is there a ridge in your shelf or kilnwash? You don't want to refire only to discover the scratch has moved to a different spot.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
vblue

Post by vblue »

Tony,
My kiln shelf is clean, smooth. I fired on thin fire.

Only thing I can think of is maybe there was a tiny shard of glass on my work table where I put the piece to clean it.

Vernelle
Marian

Post by Marian »

The belt sander is impossible to use for a wide flat surface. It has a drum that the belt rides against. It will do edges. Refiring is definitely the best, easiest idea.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Marian wrote:The belt sander is impossible to use for a wide flat surface. It has a drum that the belt rides against. It will do edges. Refiring is definitely the best, easiest idea.
You can get (or make) a flat platen that backs the belt's work area- it's for doing flat surfaces or edges.