rebuilding a compressor?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Liam

rebuilding a compressor?

Post by Liam »

I recently bought this huge compressor at auction. I don't know if it works, probably not, and it's missing a few parts. It seems like a good summer project. Ive been looking for a how to book on rebuilding compressors and cant seem to find one. Does anyone know where I might find some help, or where a good place to get parts would be?

Thanks, Liam
W.W.S.D.
(what would spab do)
Marty

Post by Marty »

Liam- I've never done it but I'd start with the manufacturer's parts list.
How about a text from a HVAC course? Marty
BobB

Post by BobB »

Liam most compressors pump are not worth rebuilding. The rods are tough to get out. It depends on what is wrong. If it's seized up just replace it. I just bought 2 new compressor pumps for $189 each. Sell the old ones for scrap. If it has a bad head gasket just take the head off and pop in a new head gasket. Hopefully the motor is ok, if not replace it. They are not that expensive either. Not much can go wrong with the tank only rust.

BobB
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Actually, a relatively modern compressor is easy to repair depending what is wrong. Rings and gaskets are easy to replace, and valves are equally easy. Some reccen t compressors are oiless and have drop in cylinder walls that... well, they drop in. If you've got a bad bearing, they aren't hard to replace unless the shaft is damaged. While you're rebuilding it, remove the stock drain valve and replace it with a 90 degree fitting, a long nipple and a ball valve. It makes draining the compressor easy, which makes it something you'll do regularly.

Look for the manufacturer's name and model number, then contact them for a parts list as previously mentioned. If it's a Sears compressor, they have all of their parts lists available online.

With a little patience, it can be a fun little project.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Jacques Bordeleau

Post by Jacques Bordeleau »

Sure you can fix it up. The pumps are much like engines, except simpler...much simpler. You can even do a sloppy job and expect many years of service, as they just aren't Ferraris. Do be sure to bolt down the head again BEFORE you turn it on to see if it cranks nice...... voice of experience on that one...;-)

Then again, a shiny new unit will pay for itself pretty quickly.

regards, Jacques Bordeleau