Toyo TC-600 Oil Hand cutter clogged?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

aeshep

Toyo TC-600 Oil Hand cutter clogged?

Post by aeshep »

Hello all,
Just did a search here and online but couldn't find anything on this: I have the above pistol grip cutter. The self-oiling mechanism isn't working. There's no oil coming out.
Took off the head and cleaned it (with cutting oil). Spring is working, mechanism has been wiped down and will push in and spring back but no oil is coming out. I can't see a way to take it apart without destroying it. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions for fixing it?
vblue

Re: Toyo TC-600 Oil Hand cutter clogged?

Post by vblue »

I never put oil IN the cutter because it clogs and many times leaks. I put a sponge with oil on it in a cup. Then I rub the cutter across the sponge. This oils it AND cleans out any little shards that might keep the wheel from turning smoothly.

Vernelle
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Agree. They do tend to leak and clog. I also use a small sponge in a shallow screwtop jar or brush a strip of kerosene directly on the glass. Jen
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Long ago, I gave up on oil inside cutters. I use a paintbrush and paint a stripe of kerosene before I cut. Cleanup with Glass Plus glass cleaner is exactly the same as it would be with no kerosene. Working with float glass, this is an essential step. If I should get lazy and not do it, I usually end up with a bad cut.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
aeshep

Post by aeshep »

Thanks, everyone, for responding. I'm on a deadline so I know now not to spend another minute thinking about this! And thanks for the extra details.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I don't fill mine anymore either. I contacted Toyo several years ago and we did a troubleshooting session. They suggested using something less viscous than cutting oil (I can't remember what it was; may have been Lamp Oil) but the smell got to me. Now, I have a tiny jar on my bench and just dip every few cuts.