Peacock texture mold

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

peterbr

Peacock texture mold

Post by peterbr »

I am having some eruption bubble troubles. One was over the peacocks head, another was lower and to the right. I have fired several times with similar results. In fact, I am 0 for 4. I am using spectrum 96 DT as the blank. Used the firing schedule on creative paradises website. Have raised the mold on two 1 in posts. The mold has no holes drilled. Would that make a difference? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Peter
charlie

Re: Peacock texture mold

Post by charlie »

not knowing what you're using, yes, holes at the low points will solve bubbles appearing at those points.
Glass Fever

Post by Glass Fever »

Texture molds don't typically have holes. How many layers of glass did you use? Without knowing your schedule I might suggest firing slower and/or cooler. Post both your firing schedule and a picture for better help.
peterbr

Post by peterbr »

Ok here is the schedule: seg 1 275, 1100, 15 seg 2 200, 1225, 30 seg 3 200, 1250, 20 seg 4 275, 1470, 10 seg 5 9999, 960, 90
Seg 6 100,750, 5.
It's the round texture mold from creative paradise. The mold is a picture of a full peacock.
I use the double thick 6mm clear spectrum 96 precut round blank.
Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Peter
williamslaybaugh

Post by williamslaybaugh »

I would slow down, you're not giving it enough time to squeeze out the air from between the texture and at that high heat the air is expanding and the liquid glass is giving no resistance causing the eruptions.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I'm curious if the Spectrum DT is really 6mm thick, throughout? If not that wouldn't be helping any.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Bert Weiss wrote:I'm curious if the Spectrum DT is really 6mm thick, throughout? If not that wouldn't be helping any.
For a bubble squeeze, I would fire to 1140, hold for 1 hour and then take 2 hours up to your top temp.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Sometimes the only way to deal with texture molds is to fire your glass blank first, and fire on the mold in a second firing.

Dana
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Oh, nevermind. Ignore me -- i went back and read and see you are using double-thick glass.

Interesting you would get bubbles in there at all. Seems like a bubble squeeze would not help, as I typically think of them to alleviate bubbles between two sheets of glass. Are you fusing too high? (1470 is pretty hot)

Dana
Glass Fever

Post by Glass Fever »

I meant a picture of the failed piece, it's often very helpful. Anyhow 1470 would be too hot in my kilns. I'm away from home so I don't have my notes to tell you what my top temp is for texture molds, but I'll post back after I get home next week.

Virginia