fastest - but safe - annealing for float 2 layers

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jerrwel

Re: fastest - but safe - annealing for float 2 layers

Post by Jerrwel »

Stephen Richard wrote:Throughout this discussion on "how fast is safe" there has been no mention of stress testing at the end of the process. That will tell you if the annealing was sufficient. If there is significant stress, slow the annealing down.
Stephen:

I did suggest testing.....................Really, really appreciate that Seachange is concerned about the durability of her products. Are there ways to test her products/designs? Some thoughts....
* Even if a product is not going to be transparent, create a transparent test piece of the same design so that polarized film can be used to inspect for stress in the basic design? (edit - oops, forgot that float glass is being used but I'll leave my question as written)
* Subject the product or test pieces to heat/cold to induce stress and test durability?
* Tap product with a hammer to induce stress and test durability?

Would you have other techniques for stress testing?
Jerry
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Jerrwel wrote:
Stephen Richard wrote:Throughout this discussion on "how fast is safe" there has been no mention of stress testing at the end of the process. That will tell you if the annealing was sufficient. If there is significant stress, slow the annealing down.
Stephen:

I did suggest testing.....................Really, really appreciate that Seachange is concerned about the durability of her products. Are there ways to test her products/designs? Some thoughts....
* Even if a product is not going to be transparent, create a transparent test piece of the same design so that polarized film can be used to inspect for stress in the basic design? (edit - oops, forgot that float glass is being used but I'll leave my question as written)
* Subject the product or test pieces to heat/cold to induce stress and test durability?
* Tap product with a hammer to induce stress and test durability?

Would you have other techniques for stress testing?
There is always the dishwasher test. If it survives a residential dishwasher, it is probably good. I routinely put my float glass sushi plates and platters in my dishwasher. They are a lower COE than Spectrum, and therefore are less vulnerable to heat shocking. I don't have enough experience with Spectrum to know how that works.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

I understood the items to be clear, so ther is no difficulty in using polarised light filters at right angle orientations to see what stress there is. I'm not a fan of the freezer or dishwasher tests, although I understand they work. If the piece is going to be opaque, then, yes, I would make a clear replica to test with the filters
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/