mold like this but in 4"

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

seachange

mold like this but in 4"

Post by seachange »

Hi again,

would you know a source for molds like this http://shop.bullseyeglass.com/square-sl ... -mold.html, but in 4"?

These are an odd size, 3.50".

The plates I am currently making are 4x4". Because of the stiffness of the float glass (2 layers), I am getting away using the 3.50" molds, but because the glass is larger than the mold, it takes much more time and care to make sure it is centered properly.

If I was to make similar in BE glass, I think I would be in trouble, the corners would probably flop down.

The next size up is mold 8636, 4.625", which seems to me to be another odd size...may be there are good reasons for this and I don't know them

I would prefer exactly 4x4". These molds are quite shallow, and slumping in a mold larger than the glass makes a flatter bowl.

Many thanks, seachange
De Anza Art Glass Club

Re: mold like this but in 4"

Post by De Anza Art Glass Club »

Can you slump the square shape in a round mold? The Bullseye mold's description is 0.75" deep for the 3.5" x 3.5" slumper. This one is 5.7" in diameter and 0.9" deep. If my calculations are correct, that will fit a 4.03" x 4.03" square.

http://www.dragonglassmolds.com/120%20MOLDS/2.htm

Full catalog: http://www.dragonglassmolds.com/pdf.htm

Note: If it makes any difference, although these are designed in South Africa, they are made in China.
seachange

Post by seachange »

De Anza Art Glass Club wrote:Can you slump the square shape in a round mold? The Bullseye mold's description is 0.75" deep for the 3.5" x 3.5" slumper. This one is 5.7" in diameter and 0.9" deep. If my calculations are correct, that will fit a 4.03" x 4.03" square.

http://www.dragonglassmolds.com/120%20MOLDS/2.htm

Full catalog: http://www.dragonglassmolds.com/pdf.htm

Note: If it makes any difference, although these are designed in South Africa, they are made in China.
hmmm, interesting idea, never thought about it.

will test next slumping with one of my round molds, have a smallish one.

Though i would prefer to invest in the properly shaped molds , of the correct size, if available.

Have lots of this little bowls to do.

many thanks, seachange
seachange

Post by seachange »

JestersBaubles wrote:Buy a 5"

http://www.slumpys.com/Warm-Glass-Molds ... Collection

Dana W.
Many thanks Dana,

In the picture the 5" slumpy mold seems to have higher corners, this is more likely to give me enough depth for the 4" blank. Will compare the measurements this evening.

Best regards, seachange
Jeanice

Post by Jeanice »

I have that mold from Slumpys. 5" is the measurement of the bottom of the mold. I believe the measurement from the top (the very tips of the corners) are 4 3/8". Would probably be the perfect size for your 4" pieces. I remember because I had some 4 7/8" blanks so I ordered the 5" mold. Rather upset when I realized that 5" was the bottom, or footprint, of the mold.

Also, the sides of mine are not that high. I think the picture is skewed somehow. Mine looks just like a small version of your general sushi dish.

Hope this helps.
Jeanice
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I've got a few of the Dragon brand molds and think the quality is good. I also have a few Slumpy's molds and think the quality is rather poor.
The Bullseye 4.625 mold is so close to the size of your blank that I'd suggest testing one since their quality is great. I'd think a bowl that sits nice and flat would be the most desirable outcome.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

seachange wrote:...which seems to me to be another odd size...may be there are good reasons for this
Bullseye molds are made in metric sizes, then converted to inches. That's why the sizes can be odd.

Some of them measure the bottom instead of the top as well.
seachange

Post by seachange »

Jeanice wrote:I have that mold from Slumpys. 5" is the measurement of the bottom of the mold. I believe the measurement from the top (the very tips of the corners) are 4 3/8". Would probably be the perfect size for your 4" pieces. I remember because I had some 4 7/8" blanks so I ordered the 5" mold. Rather upset when I realized that 5" was the bottom, or footprint, of the mold.

Also, the sides of mine are not that high. I think the picture is skewed somehow. Mine looks just like a small version of your general sushi dish.

Hope this helps.
Many thanks Janice, I really appreciate your comments. Because I am in Australia, and have to have the slumpy molds posted from the US, mistakes get double expensive.

Best regards, seachange
seachange

Post by seachange »

Valerie Adams wrote:I've got a few of the Dragon brand molds and think the quality is good. I also have a few Slumpy's molds and think the quality is rather poor.
The Bullseye 4.625 mold is so close to the size of your blank that I'd suggest testing one since their quality is great. I'd think a bowl that sits nice and flat would be the most desirable outcome.
Many thanks Valerie.

After Janice's warning, I think this is what I will do. I am happy with all my BE molds and can get them from mainland Australia at practically the same price as from BE.

The issue with this is the really odd size, strange thing.

All best wishes, seachange
seachange

Post by seachange »

Brad Walker wrote:
seachange wrote:...which seems to me to be another odd size...may be there are good reasons for this
Bullseye molds are made in metric sizes, then converted to inches. That's why the sizes can be odd.

Some of them measure the bottom instead of the top as well.
Many thanks Brad,

The strange thing is that the 8998 mold measures 8.8cm, have 4 of them, all same measurement...consistent but strange:)

I am in Aussie, and work with metric sizes. Which makes it really odd, because they are not 9cm, or ideally 10 cm, just 8.8.

Am actually thinking of emailing Creative Ceramics in Germany. If my little plates sell well (testing this season, starting now and for the next 6 months), would like to have 12 molds...surely wouldn't be the only person on the planet that needs them.

Don't want to make them myself. Making molds is another ball game entirely in working space, materials and mess, rather don't get into it at this stage.

I appreciate your explanation. Never imagined that molds for glass would be measured at the bottom :?

Best regards, seachange
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

In my experience they're not all exactly the same size, either, so you're lucky that the ones you have measure the same. And I was surprised to find that sometimes they're measured at the bottom, sometimes at the top. It's hardly a precise field.

For what it's worth, I have the ability to make custom molds, but in materials other than the traditional ceramic. Contact me by email if you want more information.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Seachange, is it worthwhile having them fabricated in stainless and creating a foot with a circle of fibre paper if it can't be incorporated? They'd be bullet-proof and last forever. Dunno if that's practical, just thinking out loud. Jen
seachange

Post by seachange »

Buttercup wrote:Seachange, is it worthwhile having them fabricated in stainless and creating a foot with a circle of fibre paper if it can't be incorporated? They'd be bullet-proof and last forever. Dunno if that's practical, just thinking out loud. Jen
Hi Buttercup,

Great thinking, yes, possibly very worthwhile. Reading you post I remembered I had a rectangular mold made a few years ago, soft curve, and the narrow ends of the rectangle bent down at 90 degrees so it could stand on these edges.

Worked great and was not very expensive, at least from memory.

This shape is more complex, but will take a mold with me into town next time and see what they think.

Will take me a little while, because I am preparing other work for a craft fair, but I'll report back.

Many thanks for thinking out loud :D

seachange