Health warning

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Buttercup

Health warning

Post by Buttercup »

image003.jpg
I have just received a new iconel sheathed TC. Prior to ordering it I sent a pic of the current one to the supplier showing the connection to the sending unit. The supplier phoned to say I should immediately replace the existing cable, too, because he recognized it as asbestos-insulated.

Thinking that can't be possible because asbestos mining and the use of asbestos has been banned for decades I looked it up and was horrified to find it's not yet universally banned in Canada, where the TC and cable were originally acquired.

http://www.asbestos.com/mesothelioma/canada/

Anyway, I thought I should pass that on in case anyone else has one. Mine came from Estrin Manufacturing in Vancouver, BC.
charlie

Re: Health warning

Post by charlie »

asbestos undisturbed is not a problem. it's only when you move it around or cause the fibers (fibres) to become airborne, does it become a problem. you could enclose the wire sheath, or paint it with a thick coat of latex paint, in order to prevent problems.
De Anza Art Glass Club

Post by De Anza Art Glass Club »

I was going to post something similar earlier today, but I'm not sure how well it would be received.

Unless you are going to take any of the measures in the previous post, the best thing to do is leave it alone.

If you are going to replace the wiring, coat the frayed end with something or wrap it before disturbing the joint (unscrewing the contacts).
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I ordered a new cable which arrived with the thermocouple and plan to carefully wrap the old cable in a damp cloth before undoing each end.

I'd rather not have asbestos in the workshop. It gets quite hot and with doors and windows open there's often a strong breeze. Thanks for the input. Jen
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Although asbestos is bad, keep in mind that only a small percentage of people who were exposed to it on a daily basis for years developed any issues.

As with anything it's the dose that makes the poison. You are breathing in toxins all day long, unless your exposure gets to a certain threshold does it become a concern.
Rick Wilton
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks Rick. I have the new cable anyway. It arrived attached to the new TC. I thought the danger with asbestos is that the fibres don't dissolve if they get into your lungs?

I'm not going to go over the top, no Hazmat Team, the road will not be blocked, emergency vehicles will not be on hand, TV News will not be notified.

I've not changed one before so expect it will be as simple as disconnecting the cable ends from the sending unit and attaching the new cable which has a yellow and a red end. I believe the new red end will go where the black end is currently attached. If that's not right please tell me. Thanks, Jen.