stacking molds in kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

aliceRI

stacking molds in kiln

Post by aliceRI »

Okay, I think this is a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. I want to cure my kiln wash on my ceramic molds and need to pre-fire to 800 degrees. Can I stack the molds in the kiln while I do that?
Morganica

Re: stacking molds in kiln

Post by Morganica »

Unless they're touching each other on the kilnwashed parts I wouldn't think it would be a problem...might take longer to release all the moisture, though, if you've got a bunch of molds very close together and all steaming out.

But what kilnwash cures at 800F?
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

When I used to dry my shelves in a prefire I'd only have to go to 500degF, currently with what I'm doing I don't need it fully dry. You'd be doing similar to what potters would be up to, getting value for money. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
charlie

Post by charlie »

stick them out on your driveway for a few hours in the sun, or put them on top of your kiln when it's firing. there's no need to take them that high just to dry
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

Are we talking about drying the kilnwash or curing/pre-firing? The original question asked about 'curing'. My container of Primo kilnwash suggests curing. Can somebody please explain what this curing is meant to achieve?