Need some kiln recommendations...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kelemvor

Need some kiln recommendations...

Post by Kelemvor »

My wife is looking to get her first kiln. We don't want to go overboard but don't want to get something that she outgrows right away. We figured an 18" inside diameter was as big as we'd need to go. Could go down to 16 or so. We don't have a hard budget but would liek to stay at, or under, the $1,000 mark.

So far I've seen the Paragon Fusion 8 which looks nice. I've seen it around the $900 range plus adding a bit for some accessories brings it to just over $1,000.

Are there any other standard kilns people usually recommend?
Are there any other standard kilns people specific recommend against?

Any and all advice would be great.

Thanks!
Haydo

Re: Need some kiln recommendations...

Post by Haydo »

It's a bit hard trying to sell a 4 cylinder to anyone with their mind set on something bigger. For me personally I would go for a small kiln because the ones I have now are so versatile. My Paragon Calderas are excellent being slightly bigger than my old Evenheat Hotboxs. Still have one Hotbox that has been resurrected on several occasions. I'm still trying to come up with work that will help pay the bills before I crank up my bigger GLA22 again and get an old casting kiln hooked up to a controller and power. Not sure what this kiln would cost in the states but money saved would be better spent on cold-working equipment. Have just posted a couple of images of some of the stuff I'm working on, this might give your wife an idea of only one thing these kilns can do. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Kelemvor

Post by Kelemvor »

The main reason we don't want to go small is that if she decides she wants to do something that's more like an art piece, we'd then be limited by what we can fit in the kiln. You can make smaller things in a big kiln but can't make big things in a small kiln... *shrug*

Are there any brands that are considered "better" than other or anything like that? Does anyone have the Fusion 8, or know anyone that does to know how it compares to anything else that's out there?
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I've never had anything other than a square or rectangular kiln but I believe I've read here that an octagonal kiln provides less usable space for the volume. Have you looked at the older posts on the topic? Jen
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

Bullseye do a nice Paragon based kiln for the 1,000 mark
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

That's kind of like buying a car. There are a lot of good manufacturers and different models. Everyone has their own preferences and set of requirements. I have a friend who just traded her 12 year old car on a new one and wishes he had the old one back. Look at a lot of the kiln dealers and see what is available in your price range and then narrow it down to size you need. A lot of kilns will get the job done just like a lot of cars will get you where you need to go. Expect to always want one larger than you have room for and can afford.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Some of us have had bad experiences with various companies- the gory details are in the archives. I'm soured on Evenheat, partly for design reasons, mostly because I thought they could do much better with service. Others love their EH kilns.
Likewise with Scutt, Paragon, Denver etc.
I found that the best way to get what I wanted was to build my own kilns; I found that I could save a bundle of money too. Plans can be found in Ed Schmidt's books and Henry Halem's Glassnotes.
You don't say where you are but I'd buy through someone local who you want to keep in business.

(I realize that this won't help you make a decision on what to buy.)
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Bullseye sells a great 'starter kit' which contains quite a few tools, glass, etc. The kiln is a Paragon with a 14" square shelf.
Here's the link:
http://shop.bullseyeglass.com/tools-sup ... n-kit.html
Lori Schinelli

Post by Lori Schinelli »

I would second Valerie's opinion about the kit that Bullseye sells. Its a perfect starter kiln in a good size and the starter tools that come with it would get you up and running right away.
No electrical wiring costs is also a plus when you are starting out.
Kate Saunders

Post by Kate Saunders »

In my experience, the oval kilns tend to "smile" (the ends lift up a bit during firing, letting hot air out and cold air in--not good). I'll never buy another.
CCVICKERS

Post by CCVICKERS »

Hi,

I'm a total beginner. I bought a square Paragon Fusion 16 and LOVE IT! I can use a huge variety of molds, I can melt 2 wine bottles at a time, and make a set of coasters in one firing. It cost about $1 to make a set of full fuse coasters.

I looked at the space, shape and wattage of various "starter" kilns. The Fusion16 was the best choice for me in a 120v kiln for the projects I had in mind to make. I found the square shape to be more versatile than a round shape. It doesn't seem to me that the cost of firing an 8" vice a 16" 120v was significantly different enough to be a factor in my purchase.

I later decided that I wanted a small kiln for test firings, small component pieces, and jewelry so I just purchased a Caldera. I know I will be using both kilns on a regular basis.

The only thing I wish I had is height... for pot melts and drop molds. I don't anticipate that I'd use a larger kiln than the ones I have very often. This is why I chose to get the small test kiln over a larger kiln now.

If you are only considering 120v kilns, I would get the largest I could find first. If you buy a small 8" kiln first I don't think it will ever go un-used. I've tried to buy one second hand and it's a rare occasion that I could find one. I think fusers that "out grow" them keep them for smaller projects.