element breakage

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

aliceRI

element breakage

Post by aliceRI »

I have a GF8 Clamshell Olympic kiln that is 1 1/2 years old. The lid has 4 separate elements and the third one continues to give me problems. After using the kiln about 6 months, it broke. I replaced it and it sagged down about 6 inches. I continued to run the kiln with the sagged element, putting off installing the new element sent by Olympic. Two days ago I got a kiln serviceman to come out and install the new element. After just two firings, the element broke apart in several pieces, landing in my work. Please tell me what is going on? Olympic's explanations really haven't answered these mounting questions. They told me I did not install it correctly, hence the sagging but no explanation to why it broke in the first place. I have also had other problems as well and have replaced the relays several times. Any ideas why all these problems?
PS: an electrician checked the voltage and it was fine.
Spending a lot of time down time replacing, fixing, and making upsetting phone calls to the company. They have been fine, sending me replacement relays and elements but I am now very unhappy with the unreliability of this kiln. What should I do?
Bert Weiss

Re: element breakage

Post by Bert Weiss »

I don't have experience with this style of element in grooved brick. I do see something very troubling. The octagonal steel pieces are insultwist studs. They are welded to the frame of the kiln which is grounded. If your element should touch one, it will create a short circuit, which will burn out the element and could throw breakers. You have to make sure elements never touch these.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Bingo!
Element pin hitting stud.
aliceRI