Hang your Glass glue

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bert Weiss

Hang your Glass glue

Post by Bert Weiss »

Has anybody used Hang Your Glass glue, to glue clear glass to clear glass? I'm wondering how badly it discolors?
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Babette (Shawn)

Re: Hang your Glass glue

Post by Babette (Shawn) »

Hxtal glue stays clear, great for glueing glass to glass. Did you know that Hang Your Glass glue has a one year shelf life?
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
― Pablo Picasso
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Babette (Shawn) wrote:Hxtal glue stays clear, great for glueing glass to glass. Did you know that Hang Your Glass glue has a one year shelf life?
I know all about Hxtal. It is very expensive and takes a week to cure in a 72º room. It is winter in NH, there is no such place here. A one year shelf life means the glue will work as advertised for one year, after that it degrades to the point of non functioning. It does not mean that the glue will fail a year after being used.

I have a need for glue for 2 separate projects, one is perfect for Hang your Glass. The other is better done by Hxtal or something comparable. I just wonder what would happen if I tried to glue the glass to glass with the Hang Your Glass. The piece I want to glue is about an inch thick, clear, but with lots of things going on, so it is not flat and smooth.
Last edited by Bert Weiss on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Yardic Glassworks

Post by Yardic Glassworks »

Bert,
I've been using Nano470 for glass to glass. It bonds incredibly strong and cures under fluorescent light. It is quite pricey however. They are based in the UK and used to have a distributor in California. The initial bond sets in about 5 minutes with full strength in 24 hours. I've not used it clear to clear, but have used it clear to color with no apparent yellowing. Take a look at their demo videos. Pretty amazing strength. www.nano470.com.au
Tim Yardic
Yardic Glassworks
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

Bert: contact Tangent Industries in Winsted, CT. or better yet, go see them. They will have something that will work. nice people and very helpful. That should be a day trip for you. Thyey make 100's of different adhesives depending on what your requirements are. Tell them I recommended them.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Babette (Shawn) wrote:Hxtal glue stays clear, great for glueing glass to glass. Did you know that Hang Your Glass glue has a one year shelf life?
Hxtal has a one-year shelf life, too (per the manufacturer).

I suspect most adhesives, after they are opened, have a shelf-life limitation.

Dana W.
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

Went to my brother's for Christmas and was pleasantly surprised to see that he had hung an 18 x 48 inch wall piece we had gifted them last Christmas. Was sad to see that the Hang Your Glass Adhesive had turned a sort of orangish-yellowish color that could be seen through the transparent areas. I had also been concerned about this during the design phase, but hadn't considered it early enough in the process to make adjustments. While I really like the HYG products, I will use them differently going forward.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Bert,

You are right about the one week cure time for Hxtal (I have a cold studio too). You can also cure the glue by heating it to 120F for 24 hours. I do this and it helps warm the studio as well.

Has anybody bonded sheets of glass together with silicone (or a derivative product called Lexel? I was all set to use it but found that it needs air to help cure and was concerned that the air circulation between sheets of glass would be negligible and the silicone would not cure properly.

Cheers,

Bob
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Bob wrote:Hi Bert,

You are right about the one week cure time for Hxtal (I have a cold studio too). You can also cure the glue by heating it to 120F for 24 hours. I do this and it helps warm the studio as well.

Has anybody bonded sheets of glass together with silicone (or a derivative product called Lexel? I was all set to use it but found that it needs air to help cure and was concerned that the air circulation between sheets of glass would be negligible and the silicone would not cure properly.

Cheers,

Bob
Bob, there are various epoxy formulations that are good for bonding sheet to sheet. Zircon makes a low contraction resin that is used to produce laminated glass. I once kiln cast 2 sheets of glass with alumina sifted between them. Out of the kiln, they were cleaned up and I took them to a fabricator that does this. They are now a hurricane spec door in Miami. I actually bought a 5 gallon kit of this resin. My learning curve told me to take it to somebody else to do. http://www.zirconcorp.com/index.htm

There are also silicone epoxies that some use. http://www.quantumsilicones.com/
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I'd call Poppy directly, at Hang Your Glass. She's usually pretty forthcoming about product capabilities. I've never worried about it, because the HYG products are metal and therefore the adhesive doesn't need to be colorless--you're going to see the metal through transparent glass anyway. But she should know definitively.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks Bert,

I was looking for information/experience with just silicone adhesives. They are cheap and easily obtained. I have heard of people mounting wall panels on french cleats using silicone (I believe). I was all set to glue something up and enquired with the manufacturer who thought that the cure time for what I am trying to do would be as much as 4 weeks.

Cheers,

Bob
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

I believe that Bullseye is going to do an On-Line class on this very subject. I will see if it is done yet and posted. Les
Give out Free Hugs!
charlie

Post by charlie »

i made a couple of stacks of float glass, glued with UV water thin glue i got at home depot as feet for a sheet of glass over an LED lightbulb. the glue was water clear and disappeared. about 7 years now. i also made some stacks of float glass to glue on sheets of glass I use on top of my salt water fish tanks (LOTS of UV light) as handles so i can lift them off. they're going on 15 years, and are still also crystal clear.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

bert - don't do it. Not only does HYG yellow/brown quickly, but it also fails over time. I've stopped using it entirely after the THIRD gallery had a piece just spontaneously come unglued. And I am meticulous in the application.
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Dick

Post by Dick »

Loctite hysol h30cl. Crystal clear, two part epoxy, uses a gun and stir rods for automatic mixing.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Bob, I've been using 3M Silicone II with French cleats for a few years but not on anything larger than about 8x16". Some of my pieces have been outdoors for about 8 years without problems so far.

I also really like 3M VHB (very high bond) tape, since it stays clear and bonds well. I taped some glass koi onto my studio wood cabinets about 7 years ago (studio is a loose term; it's actually my converted garage, but that means there are heat extremes there), and am unable to pry them off. The tape comes in clear and white, and different thicknesses.
SGS

Post by SGS »

I've been reading old posts, trying to decide what to do -- that's how I found this one. I've used vhb tapes for years, and it's always worked well, until recently. I have a piece with a "ripple" in it towards one side (on purpose). I thought I had left enough "flat" room to attach a hanging bar on that side, but (unlike the other side) the hanging bar keeps coming loose. I thought maybe my vhb was too old, got some new, same problem. I'm thinking it's just not a flat as I thought it was (???)

So I'm trying to figure out what to do now. I've been thinking about uv epoxy, hxtal, and silicon II. Bullseye suggests Dow Corning 995 Silicone Structural Sealant in their new cleat video. But I'd like to use something that won't take as long to get -- and cure -- it sounds like it could take up to 3 weeks.

Silicon II sounds great since it needs an air space to cure, and that could take care of any subtle unevenness.

The piece isn't that heavy or big (about 10"x17", 2 layers of glass) . . . but it's going in a show soon, and I don't want to worry about it falling off one side.

Any advice?? Thanks . . .