Warm Glass dictionary?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lauri Levanto

Warm Glass dictionary?

Post by Lauri Levanto »

It looks like I'm not the only one with English as foreign language. many of the terms are not in ordinary dictionaries.

Especially the jevelry makers use strange terms. Cabochon?

Could we put together a dictionary for newbies,
and hang it somewhere on the board?

-lauri
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Good idea. Brad's tutorial serves that purpose, but the format inhibits quick term look-up. A stadalone glossary would be well received.

I want to build a FAQ list for enamels and submit it to Brad for consideration for including on the board. I discussed it with a few of the other board people that use enamels. Haven't made much progress on the list though.
A part of what I wanted to accomplish with the FAQ was to establish a common terminology on the board for enamels (accepted usage for words like flux, frit, paint, powder). That part would be better-placed in a glossary for the craft as a whole.

But on a larger scope, I think it would be a great idea to post a glossary that establishes our usage HERE. There are ambiguous terms that we could establish warmglass.com definitions-for that could help communication (e.g. warmglass, etching, over-spray, evenivity, glass-kiln). Brad has done some of that in his book and tutorial. A on-board glossary would be well used.
Dani

Post by Dani »

And let's include common mis-spellings, too. That often becomes the biggest research challenge. :wink:
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

Cabochon is a non-faceted stone. In terms of glass, it is a piece of fused glass that is used in jewelry.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

In addition, cabochons are often referred to by jewelers as "cabs". Early on in the days of this board, we had some funny conversations about "cabs" (cabochons) versus "cabs" (cabernet wine).

I'd be happy to compile a list of and definitions for jeweler's terms.

Geri
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

What I would like to know is what is the meaning of "powder", e.g. "the central design was achieved with frits and powders". Is this just fusible glass frit processed to a powder consistency? Spectrum uses this term on their frits. Or is powder something else?

Cheers,
Suzan
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Suzan wrote:What I would like to know is what is the meaning of "powder", e.g. "the central design was achieved with frits and powders". Is this just fusible glass frit processed to a powder consistency? Spectrum uses this term on their frits. Or is powder something else?

Cheers,
Suzan
I think I know the simple, good answer to your question; that its just as you supposed (Spectrum's definition). The term powder has a special nuance of meaning when used in reference to Bullseye and Spectrum products.

But there can be confusing variants. Enamel manufacturers may list their ingredients as including 'frit', when their final product is a fine powder conglomeration of glass, flux, lead oxide, cadmium, whatever. I would distinguish complex glass paint formulations such as Ferro or Heraeus enamels, from Spectrum powder, even though the former is definitely powder in form, and the latter may be made from virtually identical ingredients. And Thompson makes a chunky enamel, that unless special ordered, is more in texture like a frit than a powder. Thats how an authoritative glossary would help. We don't care if the industry agrees. At least WE would know what we're talking about. Maybe.
Rocky Gentry

Post by Rocky Gentry »

You learn something every day. I thought a cabochon was a small French pickle...
lauren

Post by lauren »

o, don i'm going to run with this thread jack here...

i've read the elskus book and i'm confused, heck i was confused before i read the book so i may be making some incorrect assumptions. you already answered my question on what the difference between powder and enamels are, so that's good...is elskus' definition of enamel the same as thompson's? i don't have the book in front of me, but as i recall he termed all the transparent colors 'enamels'. is it just because they're transparent? and how are reusche paints different/the same? do thompson enamels still need to be mixed with water and gum arabic? (or whichever combination is preferred...) and the coe issue - thompson has got it covered, i can't seem to find that much info on reusche's products so i'm not sure, but it seems they just make 'glass paint'. is that ok to use between layers of glass, or would that just really be something for the surface. i guess i'm just mainly confused as to what the differences between each are, in how they're worked and what effects they give. i'd love to be able to futz around and experiment, but i don't have the budget for that right now.

o and while we're here on things i'm fazed about, let's throw micas into the mix. can they only be airbrushed? what are they mixed with? are pearl-ex colors considered micas? if not, where can one get mica...

thank you thank you thank you

peace
- l
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

lauren wrote:o, don i'm going to run with this thread jack here...

...is elskus' definition of enamel the same as thompson's? i don't have the book in front of me, but as i recall he termed all the transparent colors 'enamels'.

Elskus doesn't help our cause in terminology. He does refer to transparent glass colors as enamels, as opposed to paint. Who am I to say he's wrong? What he calls enamels are what Reusche calls enamels too, but Reusche includes opaque colors as well. The colors mentioned in Elskus book are available from Reusche (most of them), so those two parties' terminology is fairly consistent.
Do thompson enamels still need to be mixed with water and gum arabic? (or whichever combination is preferred...)

Thompson sells a finely ground enamel that could be applied with water and gum arabic, but they're better known for their 80 mesh enamel thats typically sifted onto glass surfaces. They sell the finely ground stuff in wet preparations and crayon form too. Does anybody on the board have any experience with them?

and the coe issue - thompson has got it covered

Thats debatable. I've had COE problems with Thompsons when sifting/dusting heavier applications, but its hard to say if its any worse than if I sifted/dusted Reusche enamel (which I never do)

I can't seem to find that much info on reusche's products so i'm not sure, but it seems they just make 'glass paint'.

Get a catalog from Reusche themselves. THey don't sell one-ounce size packages but they sell half-pounds. You'll see that they have a number of different lines of stuff, much of which they don't make. I don't know if they make anything themselves anymore. They distribute a lot of different ceramic and glass colors

i and while we're here on things i'm fazed about, let's throw micas into the mix. can they only be airbrushed? what are they mixed with? are pearl-ex colors considered micas? if not, where can one get mica...

No fair asking technique questions in Lauri's definition thread. (actually I don't know anything about mica)

peace
- l
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Cabochons are mischievious little irish taxi drivers