Tiny hole - WarmGlass.com

Tiny hole

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

Aglassygirl303

Tiny hole

Postby Aglassygirl303 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:34 pm

Argh, gorgeous piece. 15 x 15". Perfect, other that a very tiny hole. Any suggestions on repairing and re fusing. The hole is 1/8" x 1/4". This piece is a high low surface. It is a cracked glass piece that is two layers but on a single layer section it has small dot enhancements and the hole is next to the dot. I am think of either filling the hole with same color frit powder or putting a small piece of same color glass and refiring it.

When re fire ing should I use the same full fuse schedule or a fir polish. I don't want to risk ruiningg this piece.

Morganica

Re: Tiny hole

Postby Morganica » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:24 pm

Pictures?
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)

Aglassygirl303

Postby Aglassygirl303 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:14 am

I can not ever post a picture. For an unknown reason. But I filled the tiny hole with matching fine frit and added a similare design element. It was successful and place in the CoOp Gallery for sale.

Judith Andre

Postby Judith Andre » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:48 am

You will need to go to a full fuse again. If possible, I would add a design element to cover it as, in my experience, patches always show.
Judith

Jerrwel

Postby Jerrwel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:59 pm

Aglassygirl303 wrote:Argh, gorgeous piece. 15 x 15". Perfect, other that a very tiny hole. Any suggestions on repairing and re fusing. The hole is 1/8" x 1/4". This piece is a high low surface. It is a cracked glass piece that is two layers but on a single layer section it has small dot enhancements and the hole is next to the dot. I am think of either filling the hole with same color frit powder or putting a small piece of same color glass and refiring it.

When re fire ing should I use the same full fuse schedule or a fir polish. I don't want to risk ruiningg this piece.

With the 'single layer section' mentioned, my guess would be that the firing temp was too high and the single layer glass contracted toward a design element and cratered. I work with single layers often and never fire into the 'full fuse' range when doing so to avoid glass contraction (the 1/4 inch rule). Joy of Fusing by Randy and Carole Wardell and Firing Schedules for Glass/The Kiln Companion by Graham Stonehttp://www.warmglass.org/books/books/126-fsg both have salient information for single layer/and uneven thermal mass projects. As suggested in Stone's book, firing and annealing this uneven construction is far more complex than meets the eye.
Jerry

Return to “Techniques and Tools”