Sealing Agents

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Yardic Glassworks

Sealing Agents

Post by Yardic Glassworks »

I am in the process of a fairly comprehensive testing of several dozen different sealers for the use on sandblasted objects. If anyone has a favorite that they are willing to share, I would love to include it in the testing process. I will be happy to share the results when complete. Thanks, Tim
Tim Yardic
Yardic Glassworks
Marty

Re: Sealing Agents

Post by Marty »

temporary:
Armorall
Mineral oil (warmed?)
Pledge
WD40
Teak Oil

more permanent:
any clear non-yellowing polyurethane
Suzanne Chudnoff

Post by Suzanne Chudnoff »

My favorite is still Liquid Luster that I buy from HIS. I'm not sure what it's made of, but you don't have to use very much of it. I've tried some other products, but they didn't give the same results. What I like about it is that you can put on a very thin coat, and protect it from finger prints and keep a very matte surface. Or if you put on subsequent coats, you can gloss it back up a little or a lot. I still prefer prefer putting the piece back in the kiln to take it to a specific non gloss temperature, but when that's not possible, I'll use the Liquid Luster.

Suzanne
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Tim,

In addition to Marty's list I have heard of Danish Tung Oil, beeswax, the stuff used to sheet water off glass in showers.
I have often wondered about the sealer that is used for stone tile flooring.
I asked Mark Bollick at HISglassworks about sealers and he said that tung oil will yellow with time and becomes brittle so it may flake off the glass.

Like Suzanne, I like Liquid Lustre but it only has a 1 year shelf life.

Cheers,

Bob
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

Invisashield
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Marty

Post by Marty »

That's a great name. Calls to mind another era, before focus groups.
Like Rosanna's Glassorama?
Zach

Post by Zach »

rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

Marty wrote:That's a great name. Calls to mind another era, before focus groups.
I was wrong. Invisable shield. Our local grocery is the foodorama. Their slogan is "you can't beat our meat ".
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

rosanna gusler wrote:
Marty wrote:That's a great name. Calls to mind another era, before focus groups.
I was wrong. Invisable shield. Our local grocery is the foodorama. Their slogan is "you can't beat our meat ".
LOL! We have a plumber in town who had the slogan "Don't sleep with a drip" painted on his van. The very funny thing is that this guy was quiet and seemed conservative. The tag line just didn't fit, but I still think it was intentional :mrgreen:

Dana W.