Screen Melt Scum/Devit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Emily Will

Screen Melt Scum/Devit

Post by Emily Will »

In the images below you see a screen melt bowl blank. Depending on the colors, I'm getting a
scum in some areas (e.g. just above the reflections in the images below). I'm not sure if this is classic Devit,
or if it is something else peculiar to screen or pot melts. Since high temps are needed for these methods,
I'm not sure how to avoid whatever this is. I would like to know if it can be avoided and how.
Or, if this can be cleaned up. I have a large assortment of laps and hand pads, but I don't want to have to
start at square 1 (80 grit?) if I can avoid it. Before I slump the bowl I would like to get this to the best level possible.

Thanks for any help.

Emily
Attachments
This shows the scum better.
This shows the scum better.
The scum is visible at the front edge, but also exists in other places - not where there is opaque white though.
The scum is visible at the front edge, but also exists in other places - not where there is opaque white though.
Sharol

Re: Screen Melt Scum/Devit

Post by Sharol »

If you have access to a sandblaster, that would be the best way to try and clean it up. Then fire polish before slumping. High temperature firings can introduce a lot of variables that can cause this type of scum. It more or less comes with the territory, but may not always be a problem. I usually plan on having to blast high fired elements before incorporating them into my pieces.