need opinion

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

ironman55

need opinion

Post by ironman55 »

What do you think of this piece? its about 17"X17"X3/8"
Attachments
6 firings later
6 firings later
The Hobbyist

Re: need opinion

Post by The Hobbyist »

I like it except for the edges. I'd like to see it trimmed, squared and bordered with about 1" - 2" of black.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I'd want to hear about what your desire was when creating this piece. Since I practice what I call 'intentional design' (probably why I struggle with abstracts), pieces like this are already a bit outside of my comfort zone.

In general (and remember, this is my opinion, please don't take it personally!), I dislike random melts that appear to be nothing more than a bunch of scrap glass piled on a mesh or high fired in a dam. Personally, these just don't do anything for me. I don't see the challenge, the direction, etc. I don't like pours much either, but every time I see one of Steve Immerman's pieces, I swoon. I see these types of melts as components to be chopped up and used as an element, rather than just stand alone pieces.

Do I think they're great learning tools? Sure! It's fun to see what glass is capable of. And if this is the technique you're interested in working with, then what do you think? Did you succeed at what you were attempting?
ironman55

Post by ironman55 »

Thanks for the comments. So far I am just practicing. I don't care much for pieces that look like something done on a loom, you too patterned. I like impressionist painting so I would like to go in that direction. I like the raking in a piece. I am still practicing on edges and slumping. I am also not interested in utility type glass. I have been doing some work with crushed bottle glass, blue, greens and browns.
Attachments
bullseye glass and slumped
bullseye glass and slumped
scotch bottle art piece
scotch bottle art piece
ironman55

Post by ironman55 »

Oh I forgot to comment on the religion quote;
When people misapply and misquote God's word then they can do evil things. One day soon that will all change as God will not standby and watch indefinitely.

Sorry if that offends someone, but I did not start it.
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

I agree with Valerie on many points. While I enjoy abstract work, I feel a greater sense of satisfaction with them when they have a sense of cohesion. In the case of your piece, I would want to add a border using a color that would accent one of the colors in the glass. Much like a frame or matting brings a sense of completion to a painting. Take a look at Kari Minnick's new work. While she doesn't use borders, her designs don't call for them. I hope you'll post more of your work because the enthusiastic way you're approaching your art is going to result in some powerful pieces.
Vonon
ironman55

Post by ironman55 »

Thanks for your thoughts! Its always good to get advice and thoughts and encouragement to continue. :)
I realize I need to have borders as well, I will be working in that area next. Figuring out the best way to display glass is another avenue that I need to explore. I bought some different glass fixtures from display2go but have not tried them yet. They look a bit commercial and not so much artistic.

I would like to use a cnc plasma cutter on heavy steel as a way to interface the glass with a secondary material and make it look like part of the art itself and not just a utility piece to hold the glass which is kind of a distraction from the piece.

Anyway all new to me so this is a total learning experience. I had been a cabinetmaker for almost 40 years before this.

Thanks to all for thoughts!