Clamshell vs not. Any major Pros or Cons?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kelemvor

Clamshell vs not. Any major Pros or Cons?

Post by Kelemvor »

So we're looking at getting some kind of kiln and were looking at standard square kilns. I then found some of the Clamshell type kilns that seem to be mostly the same but they can also open up from the bottom.

E.g. Paragon Fusion 19 (http://www.paragonweb.com/Fusion-19.cfm) vs Paragon CS-19D (http://www.paragonweb.com/CS-19d.cfm)

It seems that if you open the Clamshell from the top hinge (assuming it's a dual hinge model) it's exactly the same as the Top open kiln. But then you also have the bonus of being able to lift the entire top up to easily set in, or take out, whatever you are fusing.

Are there any major disadvantages to a clamshell style kiln or do they only add benefits over the regular Top Open kilns?

Thanks.
Joe Wokovich

Re: Clamshell vs not. Any major Pros or Cons?

Post by Joe Wokovich »

My next one will be either a clamshell or a bell kiln. I like the idea of loading or building a project right on the base and not have to be concerned about setting it down inside and worry about the elements shifting.

Currently I have two JenKin, an old Paragon that is a workhorse and a GF 15. I know everyone has their own thoughts on which is the best; I use all of mine for different projects and my belief is that if you keep them clean and do some maintenance like vacuuming and making sure the elements are tightly pinned they all work pretty good.
My only thought on the Paragon you are considering is the shortness of vertical height. 6.5 inches is not much if you plan on doing vases or potmelts if you use a kiln shelf that knocks off another inch and you need an inch of head room over the project and more if there is an element in the lid. So you end up with about a 4 to 4.5 inch height which is pretty short unless you are doing a lot of panels and plates.

Good luck on your hunt.
“If you tell me, I will forget.
If you show me, I will remember.
If you let me do it, I will understand."

And then tomorrow I can start all over again
JestersBaubles

Re: Clamshell vs not. Any major Pros or Cons?

Post by JestersBaubles »

Also, it will be easier to comb or manipulate glass in a clam shell, if that is something you are considering.

Dana W.