2mm Clear 96

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

smallbitz

2mm Clear 96

Post by smallbitz »

A friend getting out of the glass art gave me 20 sheets (!) of 2mm clear 96. I've just worked with 3mm (and thicker). I don't really make jewelry (she used it a lot for that) and was curious if using the 2mm would make a big difference as a cap or second layer in my wall panels, bowls, etc.?

Thought I'd ask before I give it a try. Any thoughts?
charlie

Re: 2mm Clear 96

Post by charlie »

the hotter you go, the more it will shrink because it's trying to get to 6mm overall. you might get dogboning or something similar.
Warren Weiss

Post by Warren Weiss »

Three sheets of thin equals 2 sheets of standard, both are 6mm which gives a normal footprint. Chance for more bubbles.

Warren
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

Those were two of the things I was worried about. Not really sure what I'll do with it...Thanks.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

2 layers of 96 does not always add up to 6mm, when taken from the center of a sheet. An extra 2 might help it get there...
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I use Bullseye's thin glass as design elements all the time. Get some powders and make yourself a bunch of patterned thin glass to cut up and use as your own custom accessory glass. Just keep the pieces about 1/2" away from edges so you don't get bulging edges.